Grinding noise from the rear - 99 SS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding noise from the rear - 99 SS

Not sure what's going on here.. I have a grinding noise - similar to that of the calipers dragging on the rotors.. But the pads/rotors are fine.. It seems to only happen when coasting, not when giving it throttle..

The rear end leaks - seems to leak near where the driveshaft goes into the diff - doesn't leak crazy amounts - maybe a half dollar sized spot on my garage floor every week or so.

Could it be a seal back there that's grinding? Almost sounds like metal on metal.

Where should I start looking? I had the rear end jacked up yesterday and spun the wheels trying to re-create it - but I don't really hear it when doing that.

Any help would be appreciated because it's annoying!

Thanks guys.
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Check this thread - hopefully this is your problem so you can fix it fast.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19903
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Thanks, but I don't think it's that.. It does it when going straight/turning/whatever - as long as I'm coasting or decelerating in N or in gear.. It does sound like the caliper scraping - but they're both fine and I have plenty of brake pad left..

Comment

Jack up the rear and pull outward on the wheel. If the rotor on the outside touches the caliper housing, that's it.
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Ok, I'll give that a shot..

What about the oil leaking from the front of the diff?

Comment

It could be that the bearing are shoot in the rear end. When I go my car those suckers were done for. Got the installation kit from Summit and that was it. Thats how mine was. You can mainly hear it when your cruising/when the drivetrain is not under load.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The leak sounds like the pinion seal, which is easy for a shop to replace (had mine done for $30 when I had the clutch done).

As for the sound, its quite possible the bearings are shot. How many miles are on the car? I'm guessing you hear the sound only after above maybe 25 or so, right? Gets very loud when decelerating from a higher speed, esp. freeway speeds, right? If so, its probably the bearings. Here's my thread when the bearings went on my Z...

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13051

Hope this helps.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
                The leak sounds like the pinion seal, which is easy for a shop to replace (had mine done for $30 when I had the clutch done).
                Who did that for $30? You have to take apart the entire rear end to change it. You have to remove the Ring and Pinion to replace that seal. WTH
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yes - that bearing sound you guys are talking about sounds like the same thing mine's doing.. Only making the noise when cruising or decellerating - not under load...

The car has 72k miles, and yes, I start to hear it when I'm over like 25'ish mph..

ConElite - can you link me? I just searched summit but can't find what you're talking about. The only bearings I see are the TO bearing.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                    Who did that for $30? You have to take apart the entire rear end to change it. You have to remove the Ring and Pinion to replace that seal. WTH
                    No you don't. All you have to do is take off the yoke, pop the seal out, put in a new seal and put the yoke back on.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      No you don't. All you have to do is take off the yoke, pop the seal out, put in a new seal and put the yoke back on.
                      Really?? I've been putting off doing that seal because I thought I had to take the whole frickin rear apart.. Nice. I guess I'll order one and do it.

Now about that bearing.. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                        Thanks Jeff

Originally posted by JeffM
                        Really?? I've been putting off doing that seal because I thought I had to take the whole frickin rear apart.. Nice. I guess I'll order one and do it.

Now about that bearing.. haha
                        Ask and ye shall receive...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
                        Steve

Comment

Awesome.. Now I just gotta search my manuals to see if I can find the procedure for those bearings..

Thanks for all the help guys - MUCHO appreciated.

Comment

You bet dude. Good luck
                            Steve

Comment

Yeah I was wrong. Its just the Yoke and the seal. Sorry. If your going to do the bearing then you want this kit. Replaces everything. Its the one I installed. The install is easy, The hard part is getting the BackLash correct. Your going to need a guage. Something like this. I have a bunch of pictures if you need them. Your also going to have to buy the crush washer and a Torque wrench that measures pounds per Sq. Inch. Then a Pinion Depth guage. Jegs has it for like $100. Use it and then return it, thats what I did.

Install Kit

Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X