dumb ?? of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb ?? of the Day

How the heck do you get into the dash to replace the lights behind all the radio push buttons?? I can't use my radio at nite anymore unless I leave it where it was in daylight?
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

If all the lights are out, that sounds more like a blown fuse to me. I would check all the fuses in the dash and under the hood before I went pulling the dash apart. If they still won't come on, you'll have to pull the radio, but check the wiring to make sure that you have power to the illumination wiring (should be brown, and in the same plug as a yellow and a black wire). For all of the bulbs to go out is VERY rare.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Are the lights in the 2000 radio replaceable? In my 1995 they are not. They are soldered in.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        Are the lights in the 2000 radio replaceable? In my 1995 they are not. They are soldered in.
        I sure hope they are replacable!! It is only the lights in the push buttons, and they went out over a period of about 2-3 weeks, like they were in sequence to fail. Guess I have a weekend project coming up.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

If you find out that it's burned out bulbs, then I have some replacements left over. You'll need some patience, but it's do-able.

You have to pull the radio and take the face plate off. To get the face plate off there are is a washer behind either the volume or tuner knob as well as a series of clips on the outer edge.

Once the face plate is off you'll see a ciruit board attached to it with about 10 small screws. Take these off and you'll see the bulbs which are soldered to the board.

You can remove and replace the bulbs with a low voltage soldering iron.

I have 8 bulbs that I can send you for $1/ea + shipping. They're sold in packs of 10 for about $2/ea + shipping.

Another option is finding a replacement radio or having someone else solder the bulbs in, but both are more expensive.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I have a similar question: How do you replace the lights in the steering wheel radio controls?
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

If I were you I would simply get a new head unit. Wired correctly with a good head unit like a Pioneer, you can Tune up the system to sound a million times better than the stocker. Stock sterios you cant filter out the unwanted Mid-ranges which is what u hear when you hear that kinda muffled sound. I cant stand that. Thank gawd T/A's have a little more tuning abilities or else the stocker would have been the first Mod on my list. But Im saving up to do the PC in dash System with touchscreen. ha ha ha ha
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Stock sterios you cant filter out the unwanted Mid-ranges which is what u hear when you hear that kinda muffled sound
                Some of the stockers, like mine came with an EQ so you can, to some extent, tune out the unwanted mids.

I have a similar question: How do you replace the lights in the steering wheel radio controls?
                There are suppose to be lights on those??
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                  Some of the stockers, like mine came with an EQ so you can, to some extent, tune out the unwanted mids.
                  Yeah You have a Firebird. Camaros only have Treble and Bass Adjustment if im not mistaken.

There are suppose to be lights on those??
                  Thats what I was going to say. That would be some what distracting at night I would think.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The left side (Seek, preset, AM/FM) is lit up. The right side isn't. I don't see how it's any more distracting than the dashboard and radio being lit up
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                      The left side (Seek, preset, AM/FM) is lit up. The right side isn't. I don't see how it's any more distracting than the dashboard and radio being lit up
                      Wow, I had no idea there were suppose to be lights in there. I'll have to check that out. Why the heck wouldn't they light up both sides?

Comment

Wow, I had no idea there were suppose to be lights in there. I'll have to check that out. Why the heck wouldn't they light up both sides?
                        If I remember correctly, they lit up on both sides of my T/A.
                        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Because the bulbs are bad and I want to replace them lol Both sides lit up at one time. About a year ago, the right side started getting dim, then went out. At night, I have the dial for the interior lights turned up so that they're barely on (extremely dim). Not sure if that adds life to them or not, but it's much nicer IMO.
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Because the bulbs are bad and I want to replace them lol Both sides lit up at one time
                            Lol, you made it sound like only one side lit up by design, that makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Lol, you made it sound like only one side lit up by design, that makes a lot more sense.
                              Dang, sorry :P
                              SOLD- Kinda miss it
                              SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                              X