Tire size advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size advice

I have an 87 Firebird 5.0. When I bought it, it had what I assume were the standard alloy wheels. A kinda dished lattice pattern, plain aluminium coloured. I have since upgraded the wheels to a set from a Trans Am which are considerably wider. Lattice again, but gold with polished aluminium rim. I think they may be GTA wheels.

I can't remember what size tyres were on the original wheels, but according to tirerack.com they should have been either 195/75-14 or 235/60-15. I think they were probably the latter. In any case I don't remember having any issues with tramlining or vagueness.

Since changing to the Trans Am wheels and tyres, I get quite bad tramlining on any roads that large trucks use regularly, but it feels much better on concrete topped roads. From memory (I don't have the car at work with me today) the tires are 245/65-15 front and 255/65-15 rear.

Again, according to tirerack.com, the tyres for a Trans Am should be 215/65-15.

What size tires would I be best fitting to the fronts to make it feel better, but still look good with the Trans Am wheels? 215's?

What size are the t/a rims?
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I'll have a look when I get home tonight and post the size later.

Comment

Trans Am rims are 16X8 I think. Thats what mines are. So I dont know.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
          Trans Am rims are 16X8 I think. Thats what mines are. So I dont know.
          This being the case, I have similar rims on my S10. I am running 255/50-16s on the rear and 245/45-16s in the front. I think the OEM tire for the T/A and Z28 were 245/50-16 all the way around. They looked great on that car.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
            This being the case, I have similar rims on my S10. I am running 255/50-16s on the rear and 245/45-16s in the front. I think the OEM tire for the T/A and Z28 were 245/50-16 all the way around. They looked great on that car.
            Yeah I run 255/50-R16 in the rear and 245/45-R16 up front. It looks B@$#en and I get compliments on the mean stance.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Just checked, and I have 245/50-16 at the front and 255/50-16 at the rear. I'm assuming the wheels are 8".

What would be the narrowest tyre I could fit at the front on an 8"x16"?

Has anyone fitted anything less than a 245?

Comment

Factory specs for 15 inchers, 215x65 and 16 inchers 245x50

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by andy625
                  Has anyone fitted anything less than a 245?
                  235 would fit fine...wouldn't go any lower.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

stock size as mentioned for GTA rims are 245/50 16 all around. 255 out back and 245 up front would work fine on your car. my car is almost identical only i have a GTA. 235 will also work up front.
                    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Why do you want skinnies in the front. ha ha ha
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

i think he expects that a thinner front tire will help the car track less while going down the road. i doubt it'll help the situation though.
                        87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

You can get a wide tired car to track very well. It's all in the alignment. Find a very competent tech and have him put a custom alignment on the car.

Comment

yeah thats why I got 255's so it can help my rear from kicking out under hard cornering. It did help.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                              Why do you want skinnies in the front. ha ha ha
                              Thanks for all the replies. I thought that having slightly narower tyres on the front would stop the car following all the ruts in the road. As I said above, when the car had the original (235) tyres, I don't remember experiencing it at all.

I think the car looks great with the tyres I have at the moment, however I'd rather sacrifice some of the looks and have it feel more positive on the steering.

I think I'll try an alignment check first, and if that doesn't improve matters, I'll see about getting some 235's.

Comment

Working...
                              X