Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 10w 40 Penzoil or Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil Hurt my Car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would 10w 40 Penzoil or Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil Hurt my Car?

Hi Guys!

I had a 1997 Camaro Z28 and the valves seemed noisy especially when it warmed up. When it was cold it seemed fine. Oil Pressure was 30psi on it warm.

Now I have a 1997 Formula with 20K miles it hold about 25psi warm. Both cars have noisy lifters except when cold.

I wonder if this is normal for these cars? WOuld it hurt to use 10w 40 a little heavier oil?

Need input guys.......These newer chevy engines in the truck are quiet.

Thanks Lee!
    Lee Stroud in West Virginia

No it's not normal. I find 20k very suspicious, are you sure about that? That works out to 2k a year. That's like new, shouldn't be making any noise. GM recommends 5w30 for cold climates and 10w30 for places that don't go below 0 degrees F.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Run 10W-30. 40 is to thin if you ask me. Try that. You can run Mobile 1. Thats always good for like 1 or 2 hp too. Its just expensive. I always run 10W-30. Is it hope where you live? 25psi of oil pressure seems real low.
      My car runs 40+ warm and almost 70 on the freeway.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I have had some rocker clatter in my car since day one. They clatter for about a second or to under acceleration after the car is warmed up. I was told that was inherent to the LT1 but could be eliminated by swapping in roller tip rockers.
        Is that the sound you're talking about?
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Maybe I'm over cauicous or a worry wort. It just seems that when the car is cold the valve train runs a little quieter than when warm so I thought I would just use a heavier weight oil to make it quieter.

Thanks Lee!
          Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

Working...
          X