Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on dropping in my first motor swap...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on dropping in my first motor swap...

Hey everyone,
    Tomorrow is the day! Anyone have some words of wisdom they would like to share before I attempt to lower my first engine swap into my 3rd gen? I have the hood off, engine bay painted, new motor mounts in & I am going to try to put the engine in with the trans attached.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Im guessing your dropping it in with a cherry picker. Just make sure you have a couple buddies helping you out. At least one person under the car. One person controlling the picker and one person man handling the engine from top. The hardest part is to pivot the engine and trans. If it was just the engine you would not have to worry about it. Take your time, Don't force it.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

my first advice would be to put a towel down on both the top of the tranny and the back of the engine. that'll help to reduce scratching where you've already painted. i'd also suggest a load tilter/load leveler. we used one when pulling and dropping in motor with tranny in my gta, makes things oh so much easier. another thing i'd suggest is to not install the motor with the distributor, so you don't run the chance of bashing it into the firewall and breaking it.

what kind of motor are you putting in the car? the lt1 going into the car in your sig?
      87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

one more question for ya. in your sig it says lt1/t5. you aren't really going to try and back up an lt1 motor with a t5 tranny are you? is that suppose to be t56?

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Yeah the LT1 in my sig is the motor that is going in today. I am guessing it will have between 315-325hp. Unfortunately, I cant afford the T56 right now, so yes, I am backing it up with a T5. I put in a new clutch, but I dont know how long the trans will last. I am hoping it will last till the end of this season. If I dont beat on it too much it should... But thats going to be tough.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

you'll get that motor in there, 2 weeks from now we're gonna see a post about a blown apart t5

Comment

Motor is in! Went in without much trouble at all. Now comes the wiring.... fun.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
              X