Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent engine problems with 94 camaro. Need Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent engine problems with 94 camaro. Need Help!

Alright guys check this out, I REALLY need some help with this one. I have a 1994 camaro z28, owned it for 3 yrs with no trouble except a replaced optispark/distributor (the whole deal) about a year or so ago. I've spent the last, at least month dealing with a what i believe to be a stubborn electrical problem. Here's what it does, it will run PERFECT for days at a time. Cold, raining, really hot, whatever it runs like it should and then outta nowhere it will stumble while driving. And it doesn't feel like a little misfire or knock it seems like the whole engine just cuts out, in and out again and again for a second or sometimes for half a minute. The thing is if i'm cruising i can keep it in gear and it will ride through usually but if i'm coming to a stop light and i can't keep the motor turning with momentum then it will die. Sometimes starting up again and running REALLY rough for a few seconds then perfect again and then sometimes it will just turn over all day. BUT, what rarely fails is leaving it sit and coming back to it in a few hours. Starts right up. I've been left stranded for hours a few times and i NEVER have the tools to do any diagnostics with me. I've had it towed home only for it to start right up as soon as it got here. Here are some things to consider:
    New plugs a 1 1/2 yrs ago, new wires at the same time
    New MSD billet optispark shortly after the wires/plugs because that was the real problem
    With my laptop and freescan i pulled a DTC 41 (Open igintion circuit i believe) ONCE last week, and that has never appeared again. I scan it a lot, anytime i plug the laptop in which is a lot lately because sometimes i go drive around town with all my stuff for it to die... never does.
    Coil checks, not quite sure how to test the ICM, I'm not 100% sure the opti is out of question on this one but i did get shobox's test in where you get an ac current from the icm harness proving the opti is sending signals. I got that to happen while it wasn't starting, because i was beginning to think the water pump might have started leaking on it but if it was sending signlas when not starting that'd mean its working unless the distributor half of the opti is wet?? i don't know but either way i didn't get much farther in my troubleshooting because it started up shortly thereafter. Fuel pressure on the rail is fine. And this may be the most mind boggling thing about it. When it stalls out on me completely and turns over without any kind of firing, i can put the pedal to the floor and continue cranking then it will start after about 3 seconds and revs to about 2500 and dies. Its like it sparks for just a second then quits right away. During the whole time its cranking i can smell the gas thats why i'm leaning so hard on electrical. I'm stuck, I dont' know how to approach this problem. If anyone has any ideas or help i'd GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks

Check the opti wiring harness. It can cause intermittent problems like that.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

How many miles? Have you considered you could have a dirty MAF? I was having some similar problems to yours--thot it might be the fuel pump, or a problem with the cats, or somethng.

Some guy told me to try cleaning the MAF--got a can of MAF cleaner at OReilly's auto parts. 15 minutes work, and no more stumbling or cutting out.

Won't say it IS your problem, but it's something to look at.
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

DTC 41 can indicate a problem with the IC Module, either the module itself or a "open" in the wiring - ground for the ICM or the white wire from the PCM to the ICM; or a short to voltage in the ICM wiring. ICM ever been checked or changed? The problem can also be tracked to the coil or the voltage supply to the coil.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Injuneer, ragtop, and brdwatt for the quick replies. Today after work i'll try and figure this out some more. Quick question though, is there a way to test the ICM?

Comment

The module often times will overheat and shut down. When it cools off, it can work again. There is no reliable test because the problem would appear when it heats up. There is also the possibility that the pins in the harness module are loose or bent, creatining a intermittant contact. That will shut the car down randomly.

Comment

You can move the ICM off direct contact with the head by placing several washers on the bolts behind the ICM where it mounts to the head. That way you create a little bit of gap between the ICM and the head. If it's an ICM overheating issue that might help.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Test ICM

These ICM's are pretty common. You may be able to find another car that you can swap with. Other than that, there is a series of diagnostic tests you can perform but if it is intermittent, that probably won't help.

Comment

Alright, thanks again for all the replies. I have been REALLY busy with work lately and having a back-up car meant i put this project off for a while. Well, i'm back at and i have the cash flow right now so i decided to just buy a new ICM and see what it does. Now i'm consistently getting a DTC 42 (ignition control circuit, shorted or grounded circuit), I'm going to start looking into this myself right now but if someone knows what i need to do to pinpoint this please help! Thanks everyone

-Ryan

Comment

Alright i'm replying already ha, i found injuneer posted on

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493481

And, DTC 42 is not limited to problems in the white wire from the PCM. It will also set if the ground circuit for the IC Module is open, or if there is a faulty circuit from the IC Module terminals D or A to the coil, or if the IC Module is faulty, or the ECM is faulty. There is a faily extensive diagnostic logic tree for DTC 42 in the factory manual.
                    <--- I hope I did that right.

First off, it runs. It seems to run fine and hasn't stumbled yet but it throws dtc 42 everytime i start it. What i'm going to do is check for continuity on the white wire, make sure there is ground to the IC module and check the circuit on D and A. I assume to check D and A i'm going to check for continuity at the wht/blk wire at the coil with termial D and the pnk/blk wire at the coil with A. I'll post back shortly hopefully with what i've found and again if anyone has some input please help! Thanks

Comment

One last thing, remember this is a 1994, while browsing the web i've come to believe the 93 lt1 has the dtc 41 and 42 trouble codes slightly different. My chilton shows for a 93, DTC41=(open or shorted circuit) DTC42=(grounded) while for the 94, DTC41=(open circuit) and DTC 42=(shorted or grounded circuit). Just a heads up because i've seen posts where 93's are getting dtc 42 and won't start because the computer shuts the injectors off?, anyway mine runs. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X