spark plugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs

Ok so im tearing through the header install, and im at the point of taking the stock headers off, but, the plugs are in the way. I remember theres a method to doing ive been alone all morning and no one is here to give me any ideas on how to take those stupid metal caps off, how are you supposed to get them off.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

You're talking about the caps that go over the plug boots?
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

yhea those fu**ers, i am going insane
      [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

Once the wires have been seperated from the spark plug, the covers rotate right off. Almost like peeling a bananna.

Comment

i just wiggled mine as i pulled them straight out away from the plug. putting them back on tho, i put the wire boot on the plug, then slided the heat guard over them and pushed them back on
          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boy7789
            i just wiggled mine as i pulled them straight out away from the plug. putting them back on tho, i put the wire boot on the plug, then slided the heat guard over them and pushed them back on
            Your LT1 has a totally different plug wire system than the LS1 with its 8 direct-fire coils. There is no comparison.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

true. i looked at the wrong signature.
              -Ryan-

Comment

You might want to leave those off after you put the plug boots back on. I've read several post where guys were having big issues with those metal shields shorting out the plug wire. I left mine off with no ill effects.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                  You might want to leave those off after you put the plug boots back on. I've read several post where guys were having big issues with those metal shields shorting out the plug wire. I left mine off with no ill effects.
                  On your LS1? ????????????????
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

On your LS1? ????????????????
                    LT1, I assume by the number of ? you used that the plug shields are different on an LS1????????????????

Comment

ya i heard pthe plug shields conduct electricity so they make the plug spark at the wrong time making a misfire. I'm going to change up the wires to a 8.5mm super c's, and thats when i'll do boot sleeves instead. Doesn't the LS1 use 1 heat shield to cover each side of plugs????????
                      -Ryan-

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                        LT1, I assume by the number of ? you used that the plug shields are different on an LS1????????????????
                        I already explained that when the first LT1 owner jumped in. Doesn't help to compare two ignition systems that are totally different in design and function:
                        Your LT1 has a totally different plug wire system than the LS1 with its 8 direct-fire coils. There is no comparison.
                        Fred

Comment

I already explained that when the first LT1 owner jumped in. Doesn't help to compare two ignition systems that are totally different in design and function:
                          Amazing, the function of the LS1 ignition isn’t to create a spark. What a truly innovative design. You LS1 owners are truly blessed. But obviously you already know that.

Comment

Always good to know we have a grammarian in the crowd..... now we all know who the "go to" guy is when we have problems exspressing ourselves
                            Fred

Comment

ok stop fighting people, anyway, the outcome was i couldnt get the 2nd to last passengers side plug off, and my dad being the muscle man that he is broke the wire, and then, since the plugs are old, i just smashed the whole plug off, and took it off, i wonder how hard it is going to be to get new ones on around the new lt hookers.

Comment

Working...
                              X