Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHat would cause this?

Car is a 97 Trans Am.

When driving normally, car runs perfect. However if I get on the accelerator even a bit there are two thumps that I hear and it feels like someone is pounding on the center of the car from underneath. I say this because there two thumps and you can feel the center arm rest.

In neutral the car does not do that at all. Driving normally, nothing.

Car seems to run as always every other time.

I originally thought transmission, but car is running really smooth every other time.

I thought motor mounts, but with the hood up reving the engine it doesn't move.

SO what else could it be?

Thanks in advance!

- Gene

It sounds like you broke the transmission mount. It's very common to break a stock mount. When it breaks the transmission will jump up and hit the bottom of the tunnel when shifting gears.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Exactly what Jeff said.

When you look at it at rest, you probably can't tell that there's a tear in the mount, but when you give it some torque, the tranny jumps up since there's nothing holding it down anymore.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Thanks man...

Is that a costly repair? I'm not much of the mechanic, but my brother is. Or is this something that should be taken in for?

Any recomendations on replacement part?

Love this board, some of the friendliest and most helpful peeps I know!

Thanks again!

Comment

Nope! It's cheap about $25.00 to 50.00 dollars.

Later Lee!
          Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

my car was doing the same thing,for a couple weeks,then i hit it real hard and blew my tranny
            2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Tranny mount for sure!!! go urethane.
              -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
              2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                my car was doing the same thing,for a couple weeks,then i hit it real hard and blew my tranny
                DAMN! Glad I decided to leave her in the garage and take the winter beater then!

Seriously though, this JUST started happening yesterday, should I be concerned? I drove her home, maybe 20 miles?

Comment

Just dont beat on it & you will be fine. Im sure your brother can do the repair no problem. Get this mount....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Its firmer than the stock so you might feel some extra vibration from the drivetrain, but you will never break it. I went through 3 stock mounts before I bought this one & I have had it for over 4 years.
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                    Just dont beat on it & you will be fine. Im sure your brother can do the repair no problem. Get this mount....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Its firmer than the stock so you might feel some extra vibration from the drivetrain, but you will never break it. I went through 3 stock mounts before I bought this one & I have had it for over 4 years.
                    I was going to suggest the same thing. Let me add to NOT get the Prothane mount. You will hate the vibrations it adds to an automatic car. The 6 speed cars for some reason don't seem to be as bad on the vibrations. I don't know why. The energy suspension mount feels a little softer. That is what I am using too.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Tranny mount for sure, mine did the same thing. It's about as simple as it gets to repair. Took longer to jack everything up than to do the repair. 30 minutes with a beer break.
                      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I was test driving a 95 A4 T/A and i shifted it into 1st at a stoplight and hit it, it made that horribl sound and my dad was like: Did you just run over a bum?
                        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Originally posted by gsniegow
                          DAMN! Glad I decided to leave her in the garage and take the winter beater then!

Seriously though, this JUST started happening yesterday, should I be concerned? I drove her home, maybe 20 miles?
                          U can drive it ,but drive it very softly,Mine blew when I hit it way to hard trying to race a mustang,I had a tranny shop tell me it was the mount,a week before it happend,take it to a local tranny shop,my used trann cost $850
                          2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Working...
                          X