EMISSIONS HELP!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMISSIONS HELP!!!

I had just taken my emmisions test and failed NO2. The car runs perfect. The timing is set at 6* like it should be. I was told that it probably is a bad egr valve. Has anyone ran into this issue and what have you done to repair it? Any help would be grand. I need to fix it before plates expire!
    89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

How warmed up was the car when it was inspected? Had it been driven at highway speeds for at least 10 minutes before being tested?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

High NOx usually means high combustion temps. Either the EGR is bad, timing is too advance, or the car is running lean. I guess it could also mean your cat isn't that good, but I'd make sure to do what Jeff said: make sure the coolant temp is really hot and check your EGR.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well it's not that the coolant is hot. The converter has to be hot for it to work. Just warming the car up to temp won't make the converter hot enough to work.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

mm you got Emissions in indiana? i don't
          1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            Well it's not that the coolant is hot. The converter has to be hot for it to work. Just warming the car up to temp won't make the converter hot enough to work.
            I should have elaborated further...just meant to say use the coolant temp as a gauge to make sure your car (including the cat) is fully warned up and hot.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately we have emissions. I did let the car warm up quite a bit and the cats are only 1 1/2 years olds. I found a bad vacuum line to the egr solenois and repaired it and the egr checked out ok. I went in for my second test and still failed. Actually, the NOX was a tad higher and so was hydrocarbons.
              89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Comment

When was the last tune up on your car? I failed emissions once when I was due for a tune up and after i replaced the plugs,wires, cap, and rotor it passed.

Comment

it's all fresh. Plugs, wire, cap and rotor. All MSD except plugs-NGK.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                    I should have elaborated further...just meant to say use the coolant temp as a gauge to make sure your car (including the cat) is fully warned up and hot.
                    That is my point. The converter has to be around 1500 degrees before it will work. The temp gage will be at normal temperature long before the cat gets to 1500 degrees. You can not use the temperature of the water to gage whether the converter is up to temp. You can crank a car and let it idle for 20 minutes and the converter will not get hot enough to work. I tried it. It failed miserably. I then got on the expressway and drove it for about 15 minutes and went right back to the inspection station and it passed with flying colors. I'm not kidding.

(FYI the air pump pumps air into the converter to try and get it hotter faster so if you take the pump off it takes longer to heat up.)

Comment

I live in Indiana too but i dont got emission's nice county you got
                      1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Working...
                      X