Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought used Lt1, now check engine light, motor hesitation, misfire, etc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought used Lt1, now check engine light, motor hesitation, misfire, etc...

Hey, I'm pretty much new here, and I was looking for some advice on my car. I bought it from a dealership about 20 minutes away from where I live. Its a 1997 Lt1 z28 Camaro 6 speed with 91,000 miles on it.
    Mods:
    Pacesetter longtubes
    Full 3 inch exhaust
    Deleted catalytic convertor
    Stage 3 clutch
    Short shifter

The bad: About a day after driving it off the lot, last friday, the car's check engine light comes on, and the car hardly moves at all. I can go from one side of town to the other, but its a dog getting it up to the speed limit. The mechanic said it was the crank sensor. The mechanic also said that the crank sensor appears new and doesnt seem to need replacing.
    So, hesitation, crank sensor appearing on the OBD2... Any one know a solution to the problem? Anyone ever have the same problem? Is there something else wrong with my car?

Thats what happens when u buy a modified car. Your buying someone elses problems. Could be the Opti. or an o2 sensor. The sims could have gone bad.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If an o2 sensor failed, wouldnt it come up on the mapper? What about the optispark? Are either of them much of a hassle to replace?

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        Thats what happens when u buy a modified car. Your buying someone elses problems.
        That isn't always true. If you bought one from a guy who knew what he was doing, you'd still have problems. Even then, mods seem bolt on, nothing that would make his car run so crappy.

So you scanned it? What was the code?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Cant remember what the code was, but it defenitly was the crank sensor, or 2 of them, if there are more. For some reason, the mechanic, at one point said it was two sensors, both crank.

Mechanic told me, although the sensor may have been replaced, it is a very fragile part, while it may appear fine, it could be caliberated wrong, or a wire could be bad, etc. Should I get the code from him tomorrow? If it helps, I would have no problem doing so.

I just went outside and jacked the car up. The sensor is located under the car just behind two pullies connected by a belt.

Not trying to be a snoot, or anything. But, the man who got the work done was a mechanic. This was told to me by the dealer. Whether it was done correctly or not, I dont know. I kinda have to stand behind Chris. I have had bolt ons on cars before, and I wouldnt think that would effect a car like mine is reacting.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
            That isn't always true. If you bought one from a guy who knew what he was doing, you'd still have problems. Even then, mods seem bolt on, nothing that would make his car run so crappy.
            No it wont make it run that bad, but thats why you dont want to buy a car from someone that has it modded. B/c you know its been beat on regardless if the person "knows what he's doing."
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Wait, check that, I just tried to start my car. It started to idle, sputtered, and then it died. Tried a few times for it to start and it didnt. Im in a rut. The mechanic shop is only a half mile away from my house. Should I try to start it in the morning? Call the tower? I've had the car for 3 days, and it wont turn over.

Comment

Thats what I took a gamble with, and figured it could be dealt with. But regardless of whether the guy did or did not beat the hell out of the car, is there any advice to having a clue to what is wrong?

Comment

I'd check the optispark distributor. Mine went bad and made the motor shake so bad (due to the missing) it would barely run and eventually it wouldn't start at all.

Are you getting a code on the Crank Sensor? To me, that would be kind of scary. I got a crank sensor code one day and soon after, my crankshaft split in half. I had to replace the motor. One early warning sign was the crank pulley would only last about 45-50K miles and I'd have to replace it. My motor had only bolt-ons, nothing major....

See if the dealership has any service records on it or see if you can find the name of the previous owner and contact him to see what's up with the car...
                  Darrin C
                  '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                  07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

u have any type of warranty from the dealer,Moded or not every time u buy a usedcar u take a chance,Dont feel bad,I had to get a new tranny and plugs after i bought my ride ,
                    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

How do you "check" the optispark dist? That little bit what happened to your car is exactly what is happening to mine.

What do you mean by "on" the crank sensor? The mechanic said that the crank sensor was setting off the check engine light, and that is what they are basing the whole problem off of.

Ill do that first thing in the morning. Also, I will try to contact the previous owner to get information as well.

Holmes,
                      Yes, the dealer said if I could get the car over to my mechanic, then have them fix what the problem was, and then send the bill to the dealers. They said they would go from there.

Comment

No it wont make it run that bad, but thats why you dont want to buy a car from someone that has it modded. B/c you know its been beat on regardless if the person "knows what he's doing."
                        Ummm, no. All the mods show is that the prev. owner is an enthusiast and likes the car. The quality of the parts, the quality of the install, the maintenance record and the condition of the car tell you whether it has been beat on or not. I've done way more mods than you and the last comment anyone has is "dude, your car is beat on." Check your train of thought.

Now, as for the problem here, it could be any number of things. Get the car scanned and post the trouble codes. That's the best place to start. Most shops will scan it for free for you, and a lot of parts stores will either loan you the scanner or scan it for you for little to no cost.
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

No it wont make it run that bad
                          But you stated that earlier that the reason why his car is missing and running, or lack there of, so bad was "Thats what happens when u buy a modified car."

but thats why you dont want to buy a car from someone that has it modded. B/c you know its been beat on regardless if the person "knows what he's doing."
                          That statement doesn't hold water...I don't beat on my car. So no. You might have met guys that beat on their cars, but I don't. As stock car can be beat on and be on it's last leg. If anything, I'd buy a well maintained, modified car, with records than a stock on with nothing about it's history. You can see a well modded car and if the owner took care of it. Not trying to flame, but don't the guy down for buying an f-body that's been modded.

Back to the point as Z Ya Later said, get it scanned again and post the codes. I'm not too familiar with LT1s but doesn't the opti has something to do with the crank sensor?

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                            But you stated that earlier that the reason why his car is missing and running, or lack there of, so bad was "Thats what happens when u buy a modified car."

That statement doesn't hold water...I don't beat on my car. So no. You might have met guys that beat on their cars, but I don't. As stock car can be beat on and be on it's last leg. If anything, I'd buy a well maintained, modified car, with records than a stock on with nothing about it's history. You can see a well modded car and if the owner took care of it. Not trying to flame, but don't the guy down for buying an f-body that's been modded.

Back to the point as Z Ya Later said, get it scanned again and post the codes. I'm not too familiar with LT1s but doesn't the opti has something to do with the crank sensor?
                            Thank you very much Chris!! Exactly my point.

Actually, the Opti contains the cam positioning sensor. The crank position sensor sits behind the crank pulley, under the motor.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
                              Actually, the Opti contains the cam positioning sensor.
                              Yeah, that would make more sense.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X