Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 lt1 with 91k + bolt on's + _?_ dry shot nitrous = safe

thread title asks it all

I was really only hoping on anywhere from 35-50 shot with a single solenoid to the air box. Any suggestions?

Comment

If you're going to do a dry kit, you need to go ahead and go all the way with it and get the 5176 kit. You will also need an MSD 6AL, change the injectors out to Ford or aftermarket, go to regular plugs gapped at .035, get a window switch, and a fuel pressure safety switch. Then you can go to 125 safely.

You technically could do it the way you describe, but you would have to mount the nozzle about 12 inches away from the MAF or else you risk freezing it, and it still won't be as accurate as the 5176 kit. I wouldn't risk my motor just to save a few bucks on buying everything you need, as it could end up costing you much more in the long run.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I heard it was safe to put a small shot without tapping the fuel. Shouldn't the MAF be able to adjust? I'm not looking to go into hyperspace. Its not a regular thing either. The kit is more for looks, but just want to know if it could hold

Comment

Spraying through the MAF works on the LS1 because the PCM is much faster, and the PE mode logic may be a bit different (NOS claimed it was). No one made a dry kit for the LT1 because it was considered too risky. The MAF will see the increased mass flowing through it, but it will not measure the mass accurately because it is relying on knowing the specific heat of standard air, and N2O is not necessarily going to have the same specific heat as air. As mentioned above, direct impingement on the MAF element can really screw things up, because if the N2O flashes to a gas as it hits the element, the heat of vaporization is going to further affect the accuracy of the mass flow measurement. The NOS LS1 dry kit sprays into the sides of the airbox, allowing for full vaporization and mixing before it hits the MAF.

But, I have seen a couple of posts on another forum from people who sprayed the LT1 through the MAF and claimed it worked. If you do it, you're going to have to be extremely careful, and do a bit of experimenting. Start small, carefully reading the plugs every time you spray, until you have established with certainty that its not leaning out.

If all you are after is looks, Crutchfiled sells a small sub diguised as a blue NOS bottle......
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X