Radiator leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator leaking

When I was replacing the TPS on my car over lunch today I noticed I had a coolant leak. I think I've had one for a while since I always get just a hint of coolant smell when the car is warm. Since the car was already hot I looked around to try and find it and I did. There are small cracks in the side of the radiator.

I'm assuming this sort of thing cannot be fixed and living in south Texas I'm not sure I'd trust it anyway.

Should I just go with a stock radiator again or is it worth the $$ to step up to something else?

Local parts store range from $160 to $225 for replacements.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Just to give you another option, we have some local radiator shops around here that will replace the side tanks for like $80.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've been looking at a replacement too.
      According to this page, the 93-96 radiator was a third of an inch thicker.
      I don't know if that translates to improved cooling or not.

You decide

Radiator mod

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

I think I'd rather just replace the whole thing, especially since I can go pick one up today and swap it this afternoon.

I checked online for a high performance radiator and wow, they don't give those away.

Next question. OEM replacement or aftermarket?
        Dealership wants $269
        I got another quote for a direct OEM replacement for $160 and an aftermarket replacement for $135.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I'd go with the OEM replacement ($160) for a 93-96. The worst thing to have is a problem getting it in because something isn't quite "OEM".
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Went with the $160 option. They delivered it to my door same day for that price (plus tax) It turned out it was not OEM replacement but was in fact aftermarket. I don't remember the brand, I'll look at the box again when I get home but it fit perfectly.

I ordered for 1997 but the box actually did say it was for 93-96 and the replacement was in fact thicker than stock, much like the comparison pic. RangerBob posted.

When it actually heats back up here (pouring rain here today) we'll see how it performs.
            My DD
            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
              Went with the $160 option. They delivered it to my door same day for that price (plus tax) It turned out it was not OEM replacement but was in fact aftermarket. I don't remember the brand, I'll look at the box again when I get home but it fit perfectly.

I ordered for 1997 but the box actually did say it was for 93-96 and the replacement was in fact thicker than stock, much like the comparison pic. RangerBob posted.

When it actually heats back up here (pouring rain here today) we'll see how it performs.
              Modine ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                Modine?
                No, that wasn't it.
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Brand name is Ready-Rad by Proliance part #432399.
                  My DD
                  2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                  X