Disection of Opti-Spark: Success....what next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disection of Opti-Spark: Success....what next

I have the distributor completely disected, down to the optical sensor. There was some build up on the terminals inside (about 1-2mm on each terminal, also on the rotor, there is some roughness/corrosion going on. So i'm asking this, what do i need to do or buy to get it running again?

is there a way to check the opti sensor with it out like how i have it?
    buy a new sensor? ~$60 @ Standard Motor Products
    buy a new cap and rotor?~$90 @ ACCEL
    Buy a new opti-crap? oh i mean opti-spark ! ~$250 @ACCEL
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

My advice is to replace the entire unit with a new plug and play optispark from a discout GM vendor. People don't seem to realize that the unit was designed by the factory to be good for 100K miles. They had comply with emissions regulations and subsequent emissions warranties. I've seen all too many times, someone replaces a portion only to have another part crap out after 5K miles. You're better off in the long run putting in a new unit. If not, you'll be doing the job again at some point in the near future. While you are at it, you should also replace the oil control seals in the front cover. There is one for the crank, one for the optispark drive and one for the water pump drive. They are cheap and will prevent having to take it apart again in a few thousand miles when the leaks start. I've used factory units with MSD multispark units with great results, I never saw a need to go with any distributer upgrades.

Comment

that was going to be my second question about the front seals. Thanks for the input.
      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
      X