Biting the bullet...Ordering some Heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biting the bullet...Ordering some Heads

I may have to remove my exhaust system 'if' I move to so cal so to keep ~ the same hp I have now, I've decided I'm going to order some AFR 205 66cc heads from here

Either way, I'm not moving to cali anytime soon so I'll end up running ~420+ hp with the headers Not bad for a mid summer project... Still have to stock rear so any track #'s I'll get will be leaving off Idle and 100-year-old granny shifting... I'm @ 382 /366 right now before heads .. with DR's it'd probably be an 11 sec car...

I tell you what I love these LS1's.
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Yea I've been looking through their catlog too. Nice stuff.
    Here are your LS1 heads http://www.airflowresearch.com/ls1.php
    Check out the dyno numbers.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Well, seriously thinking about it, my biggest hurdle right now from enjoying my car to its fullest, is the rear. So I am forgoing the heads and looking at a 9" and 4.11's . Besides the rear is cheaper than the heads! I believe that they have 4 channel 3 series carriers. Even if I move to cali, the gears around town will be a blaSSt despite the loss of mileage (car may be put on DD status if I move out there)

Hopefully I can get it installed and get some track times

Guess I gotta get a driveshaft, driveshaft loop, POR-15 to paint the rear, and look to see of relocation brackets can be welded to the 9" rear

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      pics and info

Comment

What kind of cam do you have? I have just under 230 degrees with around 560 lift in order to keep it smog legal. Will yours pass smog, or will you have some kind of exemption?

You won't regret the 9". You should be good with the Strange 12 bolt, but when I tried to order, I had waited 3 months...they kept pushing it back because they had no posi units. I ended up getting the 9" with the TruTrac...it's awesome. It's actually quieter than my old 10 bolt, and pulls hard because of the shorter gears. The only bad thing is that it weighs more, and the axles are bigger so you'll have to get the sway bar install kit.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

cam is a 224/224 112lsa based cam with .586 lift (custom grind - originallly for an a4 for near stock qualities and massive mid-range to upper rance performance). (redline is 6800 ) the cam can be made to pass CA emissions but I'm at the very edge. RI doesn't have rollers for OBDII but I am planning to move to cali (Ventura) so I'd have to find a *good* shop or remove the headers & put back on air and my oil robbing pcv system.

I'm looking at driveline solutions right now as they seem reasonably priced. Thanks for the heads up on the sway bar kit

pics and info

Comment

get the dana 60 rear
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

To the Mods, thanks for moving the thread... It ended up technical after all

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
              get the dana 60 rear
              I would but I took a serious look at my application, how much I use the car at the track vs street, and the Dana 60 is Overkill for someone who drives like a Grandma 90% of the time on the street whom will only hit the track 4 times a year on average.

Still working out the specs , but it's looking like Strange S casting, Daytona support, 1350 series yoke, 31 spline Truetrac, and a Motive Performance 3.89 ratio with Timken bearings & 3.89's as I want to eliminate the possibility of Shifting into 5th in the 1/4 (Car will end up being 420's in hp - 11 second car, trapping in around 120 or so - right at or just beyond the shifting point with 4.11's so 3.89s will satisfy me. Moser will send me the housing and axle package with TA mount and the axles will be prepped to accept the stock rings and backing plates off my 10-bolt.

I'm debating on the the spline 31 vs 33 ratio still

price is around 2475 to my door with me having to install the rings and backing plates.

I'll also need a conversion kit for the u-joint. Spohn sway bar kit for 3" housings, weld-on relocation brackets for the LCA's and a beefed up drive shaft (Denny's). POR-15 to coat the housing and lots of beer for the install
              yeesh lots of details

pics and info

Comment

Working...
              X