Fans not turing on......where is the temp sender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans not turing on......where is the temp sender

on my '95 z28 the fans do not turn on and will heat up... but when i run the a/c the fans turn on. up at o'reilly's the guys who knows his stuff told me the best bet would be the temp sender. so i bought the part but need help locating it...any suggestions...pics would be nice/ thank you

Shoebox yet again has the answer.

Temperature sending unit for the PCM located on the front of the water pump.
    Temperature sending unit for the Temp. Gauge located on the driver's side head.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

The fan temp settings on a LT1 are really high. 226 low speed, 235 high speed. The temp gage has to get to almost 3/4 before the fans will come on. How high does it get before you think you have a problem and shut it down? My point is there may not be anything wrong and you are not letting it get to the point where the fans come on.

A lot of people get their PCM reprogrammed to make them come on at a lower setting. I have a 160 thermostat which is fully open about 180. My fan temps are set to 185 and 195.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

when i am driveing the temp is fine.. but when im at a idle the car will get almost in the red zone... i thought i was going to have to shut it off a few times but it plays with the red zone... i put a new sensor on today. the problem did not go away. what else might it be?

Comment

Originally posted by z28_Bignick_z28
          when i am driveing the temp is fine.. but when im at a idle the car will get almost in the red zone... i thought i was going to have to shut it off a few times but it plays with the red zone... i put a new sensor on today. the problem did not go away. what else might it be?
          You have get fans programmed for lower temp or buy manual switch for fans it only kick on after 225 or so
          1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Monitor it with a scanner to see if the computer is starting the fans at the right temp. It could be your gauge is reading high.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

ok... so i got the fans to work. installed a new temp sensor and played around with it a little bit. now something new. what would be the cheapest opotion for me to reprogram the fans to come on at a cooler temp.

Comment

Working...
              X