Clutch Chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Chatter

I've been noticing some mild shuddering as I take off from a complete stop and engage the clutch. I noticed it a while ago, and it seemed to stop, only to return now. The only way I can avoid it completely is by using just barely any gas to take off, close to idle. It is made worse by slipping it at higher RPM, or by starting on an incline. Does this likely call for a new clutch already? It only has 52k, and it doesn't slip or seem to show any signs of being worn otherwise. It's the stock clutch, not one of these drag racing ones. I hope don't have to drop a grand or so on this for a new clutch and flywheel now.
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Sounds like it could be replacement time. If it is the clutch, do it soon and you might not trash the flywheel, it would likely only need a mild resurfacing. How is the engage and release from the pedal? Does it feel like the action is correct?

Comment

It's usually caused by hotspots on the flywheel.

Slipping the clutch excessively or a slipping clutch causes the flywheel to get very hot which can make the surface irregular or cause it to glaze in spots. The same thing can happen to the pressure plate.

It's like having warped rotors for your brakes, but it's your clutch instead.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Sounds like it could be replacement time. If it is the clutch, do it soon and you might not trash the flywheel, it would likely only need a mild resurfacing. How is the engage and release from the pedal? Does it feel like the action is correct?
        Feels like it might be grabbing a little farther from the floor than before. It's starting to get like as I'm taking off, it's harder to take off smoothly at low RPM.

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
        It's usually caused by hotspots on the flywheel.

Slipping the clutch excessively or a slipping clutch causes the flywheel to get very hot which can make the surface irregular or cause it to glaze in spots.
        That's understandable to me, however, I've never driven the car in this manner of high RPM take-offs. I should mention that I didn't own the car for the first 44k.
        Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
          Feels like it might be grabbing a little farther from the floor than before. It's starting to get like as I'm taking off, it's harder to take off smoothly at low RPM.

That's understandable to me, however, I've never driven the car in this manner of high RPM take-offs. I should mention that I didn't own the car for the first 44k.
          Hydraulic clutches don't feel like cable clutches. They usually don't show alot of diffence in pedal travel when they are worn.

It's not like you have to rev the crap out when you take off to cause chatter. Your driving habits may be to blame. I barely slip my clutch at all, infact I lug it from a stop unless I am at the race track. Then I just dump the clutch and try to regulate wheel spin with the gas pedal. I don't want to slip my clutch in the name of a better 60' time.

There are alot of people that slip their clutches too much when leaving from stop. It's not like the stock has so much bite that it's normal to have chatter.

Comment

Hydraulic clutches don't feel like cable clutches. They usually don't show alot of diffence in pedal travel when they are worn.

It's not like you have to rev the crap out when you take off to cause chatter. Your driving habits may be to blame. I barely slip my clutch at all, infact I lug it from a stop unless I am at the race track. Then I just dump the clutch and try to regulate wheel spin with the gas pedal. I don't want to slip my clutch in the name of a better 60' time.

There are alot of people that slip their clutches too much when leaving from stop. It's not like the stock has so much bite that it's normal to have chatter.
            It's never been a habit for me to rev up high leaving from a stop. I actually drove today and could not reproduce the problem. I think I'll put off my worries for now; the car is driven > 2k mi a year. I think for now now I'll focus on flushing out the Dex-crap that's been starting to build up sludge in my system, and going to green. Thanks for the advice, guys.
            Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
              It's never been a habit for me to rev up high leaving from a stop. I actually drove today and could not reproduce the problem. I think I'll put off my worries for now; the car is driven > 2k mi a year. I think for now now I'll focus on flushing out the Dex-crap that's been starting to build up sludge in my system, and going to green. Thanks for the advice, guys.
              As you drive the car so little, I'm thinking that you may just be getting some corrosion on the flexplate and flywheel surfaces. After you drive a bit you wear the corrosion off and it functions normally. That's entirely possible.

I would flush your cooling system and refill it with DexCool. There isn't anything wrong with it.

Comment

As you drive the car so little, I'm thinking that you may just be getting some corrosion on the flexplate and flywheel surfaces. After you drive a bit you wear the corrosion off and it functions normally. That's entirely possible.

I would flush your cooling system and refill it with DexCool. There isn't anything wrong with it.
                I never thought of that but it would make sence, as I drive the car normally during the summer, and it sits most of the time for the rest of the year. I took it for a long drive the day before too. I'll see how it goes from here. Thanks.
                Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                X