Removal Of the Timing cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal Of the Timing cover

What all do i need to do to change the timing gasket and front seals?
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

just get the kit. it's 18 at advance auto. Comes with the 3 seals for the timing cover and the optispark seals.

Just be careful with the top small seal that goes over the water pump gear. Very easy to destroy.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Be sure to read the directions that come with the gaskets/seals.

If I remember correctly the top waterpump drive seal MUST be installed dry.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
        Be sure to read the directions that come with the gaskets/seals.

If I remember correctly the top waterpump drive seal MUST be installed dry.
        They all get installed dry.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

The front of the oil pan needs to be lowered to correctly remove/install the timing cover.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

so heres how is goes right?

1. remove water pump, fans, opti, hoses, and c/s pulley
            -i got the pulley off, how do i get the hub off?
            2. drain oil(?) then lower oil pan,
            3. remove all bolts holding front cover on,
            4. remove all seals from cover, then install new cover gasket and seals.
            5. reinstall bolts for front cover, and then raise the oil pan back up. i'll probably need a new pan gasket too huh?
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Look on my Tech Page in the How To's section for cam removal and skip down to the "~Disassembling the front of the engine~" part. It will take you through it. You won't need a pan gasket if you are careful and dont tear it. It will have to be carefully pried out of the timing cover.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I didn't have to drain my oil to lower the pan. Just loosen the bolts a little bit to where it drops enough not to tear the gasket.

You need to pull the hub off the same way you pulled the pulley off. A claw puller didn't work for me.

Use a crow foot puller.

Remove the 5/8" bolt thats in the hub.

Take a bolt that is thinner than the factory hub bolt, but a few inches longer, and stick it in until it stops inside the crank.

Take some 3" bolts (maybe 2.5") that are smaller than the holes in the hub, so they can go thru the hub, put it thru the crows foot, then thru the hub. Put a nut on the back of each one, and crank it. It'll come off easily.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  They all get installed dry.
                  You must get different seals then.

I know that the crank seal is just a conventional oil seal when I purchased mine.

Don't install the waterpump seal in the cover and then install the cover. Install the cover first, then install the waterpump seal. That will help avoid damaging it.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Working...
                  X