How to run "safe nitrous" wet or dry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to run "safe nitrous" wet or dry?

Should i run wet or dry if i go nitrous?

What supporting mods do i need to "safely"?

Colder plugs for a bigger shot i know.

Injectors for a dry shot? what size and brand?

should i get a window switch to purge it?

i know i need a bottle warmer.

Im looking at DynoTune Nitrous kit
    Click Here

What is the best sized shot for my setup?

Any info appreciated
    1995 LT1 bird
    10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.
    275/40/17 Nitto NT555R extreme drags in rear

2005 Dode SRT-4
    agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!
    6 dics cd changer, 10 inch MTX fully loaded with moonroof and viper style seats

Dry if you plan on leaving it alone, wet if you want to go bigger or smaller later on.

Fuel pressure safety switch, window switch, MSD 6AL or equivalent with soft touch rev limiter, regardless of whether you go wet or dry.

Injectors should be aftermarket, or Ford SVO, as they can handle the increased fuel pressure with the NOS 5176 kit.

Shot is up to you. The 5176 is pretty limited, but a wet kit can go anywhere from virtually nothing to as much as a 250 shot on a single stage if the lines and solenoids can handle it.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

what is the differences in wet vs dry?
      1995 LT1 bird
      10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.

2005 Dode SRT-4
      agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!

Comment

Dry nitrous is spraying only nitrous into the intake manifold and using some other method to add fuel to the system, if adding any at all. Some systems use methods to increase fuel pressure, others spray past the mass air flow system and allow the ECM to add fuel, and others piggyback onto the ECM and make the fuel injectors stay open longer (increasing pulse width) to spray in more fuel.

Wet nitrous is where solenoids spray both nitrous and fuel directly into the intake manifold. This gives you much more tunability, as just simply switching jets out determines what shot you have. These are completely stand-alone systems and can be adjusted at will independent of the vehicles tuning (for the most part).

A dry nitrous kit (5176 application through Nitrous Oxide Systems for LT1 cars) sprays nitrous only into the intake manifold and uses a regulator to make the fuel rail pressure increase to about 85 or so PSI through the injectors to add the extra fuel. The problem with the stock GM injectors is that they cannot handle the increased fuel pressure and lock up, that is why they have to be replaced with aftermarket units or Ford ones.

Comment

So if what is the safer one?

if both done with supporting mods?

walbro fuel pump, injectors and colder plugs?

if i plan on going big with the car eventaully will the wet kit be better because it is easier to tune?
          1995 LT1 bird

2005 Dode SRT-4

Comment

Either way can be made safe by buying the correct safety items. The fuel pressure safety switch is the absolute most important thing you can buy. Right behind that, and I do mean RIGHT behind that, is a window switch, that way you don't activate the nitrous too early or shut if off too late. A nice thing to have would be a nitrous pressure switch, that way if the nitrous pressure is too low or too high it prevents activation. If you can afford it, a nitrous pressure controlled bottle heater is great to have, that way the bottle pressure is kept at ideal conditions.

A wet kit is the best way to go if you plan on being able to adjust it infinitely for whatever reason. The downside is that you have yet another solenoid you have to keep an eye on. There are some folks who are redundant with their entire kit, which means they have double everything, so if one part fails, nothing will activate and save the motor. This is important on the solenoids, as they can and have locked up in the open position. Now if the fuel solenoid locks open, you're OK, as it will flood the motor. PITA, but it won't blow up. Nitrous solenoid locks open, ouch.

Comment

well am going to do a bottle cover and a heater
              1995 LT1 bird

2005 Dode SRT-4

Comment

wiht a 125-150 shot should i expect about a sec in quarter mile?
                1995 LT1 bird

2005 Dode SRT-4

Comment

You'll pick up about 1.0 seconds and 10MPH over whatever you are running now. Maybe more if you can spray out of the hole and hook up.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

so if i go with hooker long tubes,supporting nitrous mods,colder plugs, A TUNE, some suspension goodies i can pick up a good second maybe more with the exhaust and suspension right?
                    1995 LT1 bird

2005 Dode SRT-4

Comment

Working...
                    X