• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Kit Worth Geting??

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...cat=21&pid=219

anyone got shift kit in there car?
    1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

I have their Trans Pak in the GN. Its better than stock, but not the best shift kit I've felt. I have to let off the throttle to get her to shift into 4th, sometimes almost completely depending on the speed. Talk with your local tranny shop, they can probably do a better job for a reasonable amount. Hope this helps.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by 96FirebirdFormula
      I say,.....YES!!
      I'll tell you that back in Nov.'06 my tranny went, instead the guy at my local f-body specialty shop put in a "beefier" tranny with the shift kit in it already. I don't know who it's by, but I have a lot of fun with it. Serious tire chirp everytime from 1st to 2nd. I just think I'm so cool

Anyways, I love it, and won't ever go back to the stock tranny!
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Mine chirps them already from 1st to 2nd stock tranny
        1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

In general, yes- I used to have a Trans-go in an LT1-equipted Caprice with 4.10 gears and a tight Eaton posi- forget the 1st-2nd upshift, that would bark the tires at about 65 on the 2nd-3rd upshift, merging down on-ramps. Pretty cool- BUT!
          In the rain, at about 30, as the tranny was getting ready to shift, you had to let off the gas 'cause that back end was coming around RIGHT NOW! After a couple very exciting times of getting sideways in the rain just leaving stop signs, I got a little spooked, and use to just lift the throttle. That was in a 4 thousand plus-pound car with big tires.
          The stock shift program in the Z will chirp the 1-2 upshift, and, again, in the rain can be pretty thrilling..... how much more do you need?
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Gee, interesting......and you're all stock? Wish mine did that all stock! If you already have that then, why bother with the shift kit then?
            1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Yes, mostly stock- I know the Z28 came with a sport program in the shift patterns, I think the Pontiacs had a switch so you could go between sport mode and normal

The only mod, if you call it that, is the fact that I put in a 3.42 axle from a WS6 'bird that had been crashed. I guess it depends on how sticky your tires are, too. I am running Khumos right now, they were inexpensive- will be upgrading that the next time around.
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Mine did too. I wouldn't have wanted it to shift any harder. In the rain it was flat dangerous. Of coarse now it will chirp going into 3rd too.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Shift kits are designed to reduce the overlap during full throttle shifts to eliminate excess slip and heat buildup. The biggest problem is that people take a used trans with stock internals, add a shift kit and for a short time it works fine. Then the stock clutches wear faster and before you know it, she needs a rebuild. Then everyone blames the shift kit for causing the trans to fail. The best idea is to have the trans redone with improved clutches, sprags and sun shell. Then the proper shift kit will give you long, trouble free service to go along with the firm shifts.

If you want a decent shift kit, Transgo makes a good one.

BTW, chirping a gear is not the safest nor the quickest way to get from point A to point B. The idea is to hook, not spin. I can just see it now..... accelerate up to speed, the rear tires break loose because traction is marginal and the car swings around.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    I can just see it now..... accelerate up to speed, the rear tires break loose because traction is marginal and the car swings around.
                    We have seen that on the board a few times with people new to these cars.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      We have seen that on the board a few times with people new to these cars.
                      You sure said a mouthful. There was a thread just the other day, the guy was driving in the rain, the rear let go and came around. He went into a concrete embankment and took out the whole rear of the car. I myself, had that happen years ago when I was in Boynton Beach. I was going around a curve, not pushing it either....... the gears changed and the rear spun around like lightning. No correcting it either. I got the car under control but was going 45 mph backwards. Got it stopped just short of a wall.

These cars require respect, if they don't get it they may bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        You sure said a mouthful. There was a thread just the other day, the guy was driving in the rain, the rear let go and came around. He went into a concrete embankment and took out the whole rear of the car. I myself, had that happen years ago when I was in Boynton Beach. I was going around a curve, not pushing it either....... the gears changed and the rear spun around like lightning. No correcting it either. I got the car under control but was going 45 mph backwards. Got it stopped just short of a wall.

These cars require respect, if they don't get it they may bite.
                        I tell you what, the Torsen rear end in the 98-02 Z28/TA really makes these cars a lot safer than the limited slips that are in the 93-97 or 98-02 SS and Firehawks.

Comment

I tell you what, the Torsen rear end in the 98-02 Z28/TA really makes these cars a lot safer than the limited slips that are in the 93-97 or 98-02 SS and Firehawks.
                          Thats for sure. I can Do Powersides very easy in my car, Not that I ever do. But I try that in a buddies 95 T/A and its a whole different story.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

yes they are!

Comment

Working...
                            X