Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cams

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...aeabb2236068d9

Can someone explian to me what a cam does and how much hp u gain,when i went to the races the to other fbods were both cammed,and real fast
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

The camshaft is like the heart of an engine. It controls the rate that the valves open, how high the rise off their seat, how long they stay open and how quickly they close relative to the position of the crank and pistons. Usually a more aggressive cam is installed to increase all of the above parameters, but at the expense of a loss somehwhere else. Stock camshafts are designed to give smooth operation combined with good power and fuel consumption. Adding a more radical camshaft (depending on the design) will usually trade off the low rpm power and smoothness for an increase in upper rpm horsepower and an increase in operating range. What usually happens is the idle gets more lumpy, but as the revs climb it pulls harder.

Comment

thanks,are they very hard to install compared to installing headers
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

yeah they are a little more involved than a set of headers. you have to pull then intake, water pump, timing cover, timing gears and chain, most likely the radiator, then you have to take all the rockers off, and pull out the pushrods, then the lifters. slide the cam out, and slide the new one in and reverse the procedure. should take any less than 10~16 hours depending on your skills.

I wouldnt suggest going into this one solo for the first time, call a mechanic friend, and help, or if you are on good terms with a shop, ask if you can help and hand wrenches or some thing.
        2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
        1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
        past rides:
        1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
        2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
        1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
        2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
        2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
        1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
        1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
        1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

If you have any questions on how to do anything, check out Rob's "how to" section on his "tech pages". http://shbox.com/ He has a complete set of instruction on cam removal/installation. And you are lucky because his is a 95 like yours so it's just about exactly like yours with a few Pontiac ram air exceptions.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Its some work. Your taking apart the top part of the engine. Not at all a job for someone that has some serious experience. Look At Raro's posts on the off-topic forum. He just completed his car.

Originally posted by raroZ28
            Originally posted by raroZ28
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Here's a good write up of the in's and out's of cams. Erm, or would that be up's and down's? This specifically relates to the LT1 but the basics are the same.

Camshaft 101
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

that helps alot,Im trying to figure out my next mod,So far its between cam,headers,or nitro,Im leaning towards the nitro because it seems to have the most bang for my buck,$500 for kit and setup,

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                  that helps alot,Im trying to figure out my next mod,So far its between cam,headers,or nitro,Im leaning towards the nitro because it seems to have the most bang for my buck,$500 for kit and setup,
                  Nitro may seam like quick horsepower but when I ran nitrous it was $2.50 a pound so a 20 pound bottle was $50 to fill. It doesn't last long either. If you are using it on the street you can easily use a bottle in a week. So figure $50 a week for 52 weeks is $2600 a year and it isn't so cheap. I would look at the headers if I were you.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I agree with Jeff. U have to remember that with "NOS" it only gives you that power when you activate it. With headers or head work or cam, Its continues power. Nitrous is the best bang for the buck, but its only on demand and I doubt it would be a good idea to be running that to much on the street. Do headers. Maybe an LT4 intake and port matched head work.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      Nitro may seam like quick horsepower but when I ran nitrous it was $2.50 a pound so a 20 pound bottle was $50 to fill. It doesn't last long either. If you are using it on the street you can easily use a bottle in a week. So figure $50 a week for 52 weeks is $2600 a year and it isn't so cheap. I would look at the headers if I were you.
                      good piont,here's my Q will shorty headers fit on my stock y pipe,well its a borla y pipe but my stock headers are hooked to them wright Know,and how much hp would i gain 10 15 hp??????

Comment

good piont,here's my Q will shorty headers fit on my stock y pipe,well its a borla y pipe but my stock headers are hooked to them wright Know,and how much hp would i gain 10 15 hp??????
                        Most shorty headers comes with a Y-Pipe.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...c3c02eda10c7b2 do these,i dont want to buy them and then have a hard time getting them hooked up,please help

Comment

To be perfectly honest, shorty headers would be a waste of money. For all the work you are going to do to get them in, might as well get long tubes and see nice gains. Shorty headers only flow slightly better than stock.

Here is where I got mine. If you are looking to pass Emissions, you will need ones with those provisions. Here is the non emissions ones.

Non Emissions longtubes

Here is the Y pipe (ORY)
                            Offroad Y Pipe

Jim
                            President of N.I.F.B.A.
                            Live in the Chicagoland area, want to be in a car club?
                            Click here to visit the NIFBA

Comment

Originally posted by JPack
                              To be perfectly honest, shorty headers would be a waste of money. For all the work you are going to do to get them in, might as well get long tubes and see nice gains. Shorty headers only flow slightly better than stock.

Here is where I got mine. If you are looking to pass Emissions, you will need ones with those provisions. Here is the non emissions ones.

Non Emissions longtubes

Here is the Y pipe (ORY)
                              Offroad Y Pipe
                              thats just the problem. in californin u can not relocate the cat/s whats so ever. so we can not run long tubes. california is the emission Nazi capital of the world.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X