TB coolant bypass??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB coolant bypass??

I've been reading everywhere about people doing this mod, what exactly is it? I'm assuming it is relatively safe? What is involved with this procedure? Thanks!
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Drain coolant below throttle body level.

Protect the Opti with a rag.

Remove the clamps from the two 3/8" coolant hoses that connect to bottom plate on the throttle body.

Remove both hoses from the throttle body.

Remove the passenger side hose from the metal pipe that comes from the back of the heads. Discard.

Pull the hose you took off the driver side of the throttle body, and connect it to the metal pipe from the back of the head. Use a clamp.

Refill coolant.

Bleed coolant system, per instructions on Shoebox's Tech Page.

Put a 3/8" vacuum cap over each of the two nipples on the base of the throttle body (optional).

The above procedure only works for 95-97. For 93-94, you pull the two hoses off the throttle body, and connect them together using a 3/8" barbed hose connector and two clamps.

Dyno results:

http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hello STANGETR ( Love that )

I've done it to my last two TA's. It's free, and I could feel a difference. I read that GM designed it to prevent the butterflies from freezing open/closed in very cold temps. Seems unlikely inside a hot engine compartment, but where I live, it's totally uneccessary to pump hot coolant thru the throttle body, heating the incoming air. Cool air equals horsepower since it's more dense. As long as you're not driving in extremely cold temps, there's no safety issue.

Enjoy!!!

Dave

Comment

My only words of wisdom here are this:

The coolant line on the side of the TB is difficult to get to and I had some problems getting the line to come loose. Somewhere in the process of pulling etc. I must have put some force on the TPS which is located directly above that coolant line and cracked it. It failed a few weeks later and I had to replace it. Easy to do but that turned my "Free" mod into a $25 mod.

Other than that it's a very straight forward thing to do.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
        X