T56 Rebuildable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T56 Rebuildable?

Is there rebuild kits for T56 transmissions?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Originally posted by ConElite
    Is there rebuild kits for T56 transmissions?
    Oh yes.

Do you want to do it? Do you have a press to get bearings off and on? Do you have a way to hang the transmission and put a dial indicator on the input shaft to measure the end play?

I am not sure about the T56 but on a T5 you can easily replace the synchros for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It takes a press to get 4th and 5th. This are usually what go bad first anyway.

Some info on the T56
    http://www.ddperformance.com/t56_partsupgrades.htm
    http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html

I have had these people rebuild a T5 before and they are good.
    http://www.southerngearco.com/
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thank you Jeff. They have a press at the shop my father works at. How difficult is it to install a synchro rebuild kit?

The reason I ask is b/c My Trans has serious trouble getting into reverse. I have to go in 2nd gear then reverse then keep pressure on it then let the clutch out slowly and it pops in. Sometimes I cant get it in. And forget about going in reverse up a slight incline.

Would that Synchro Kit solve this issue?

Around how much would a shop charge to just do the rebuild? Not Removal or install of the trans?
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        Thank you Jeff. They have a press at the shop my father works at. How difficult is it to install a synchro rebuild kit?

The reason I ask is b/c My Trans has serious trouble getting into reverse. I have to go in 2nd gear then reverse then keep pressure on it then let the clutch out slowly and it pops in. Sometimes I cant get it in. And forget about going in reverse up a slight incline.

Would that Synchro Kit solve this issue?

Around how much would a shop charge to just do the rebuild? Not Removal or install of the trans?
        It might and it might not. It could be a slightly bent shift fork. It could be a bad synchro. Going into second stops the countershaft from spining since the reverse synchro isn't working but it could be stuck or not engaging straight. I would take it in if I were you. I think it will cost about $600 to rebuild it.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Ouch. Yeah I figured its going to cost from $400-500. Then I need to change my clutch so. There goes another grand total.

Thanks Jeff
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Well if you figure $300 worth of parts then $300 labor is about 5 hours. It might be closer to $750.

Comment

I bought all the D&D performance goodies and had a friend of a friend rebuild and install the goodies for me. He charged me $100. If anyone lives in the KC area, I can hook you up.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I just replaced my 5th & 6th gear syncro and shift fork without a press. I had the tranny out, apart, fixed, and put back together in about 4 hrs with the help of my friend John. It actually took longer the next day to put it back on my car because the old input shaft bearing didn't want to come out
                1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Man Norman, Why cant you live closer. $100 is nothing. But yeah I dont know what it can possibly be that keeps me from Shifting into reverse. I need to go to a good shop that is familiar with the T56 and see if they have any idea what would cause this.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a reverse lock out solenoid malfunctioning?
                    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                      Are you sure you don't have a reverse lock out solenoid malfunctioning?
                      I have removed, checked and rechecked the reverse lock out solenoid. Its working perfect. Still hard to put into gear with no solenoid at all.
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Is reverse the only gear that it is hard to get into?
                        1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
                          Is reverse the only gear that it is hard to get into?
                          Yes Sir. Its hard to get it in and hard to keep it there. I cant go in reverse up an incline. forget about it.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                          X