supercharger question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharger question

i was just wondering what the magical cut-off number is for supercharging the vortec motors, or even an ls1...also, does any body know someone who has run one of those combos for 100k miles plus? thanks again guys!!!
    2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
    current mods.....
    3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
    1979 10th anniversary ta
    yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

i was just curious cause i found a 2006 silverado with the vortec max (39Kmi)... i really want to supercharged a truck but the only vortec maxes in my price range that i can find have between 35K and 50K miles... 5.3L are a dime a dozen, thats why im looking for the big dog ... but if thats to many miles i could suffice for a 5.3L haha thanks agian guys.... oh and i need it to be reliable cause its gonna be my daily driver.... any opinions on that?
    current mods.....
    3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

I know when I was working at chevy there was one guy that had a Whipple S/c on an Avalanche. That thing was fun, let me tell you. He had the electric fans and headers and custom tune. He was pushing like 400hp. Very fun truck. It was at like 7 psi. and that was his DD.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

see im lookin for something like that.... that would be awesome!!!
        current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

It's not a matter of HP output the better way is to ask what PSI can my block take reliably before she pops. LS1 stock blocks seem to be around 8psi AT MAX (with a single large intercooler for best hp) LT1's are about the SAME not sure of the Vortec block series . Of course you could run higher PS1 but a stock motor, 8 psi seems to be it, but I can assure you it wont be for long when above 8psi. Depending on your setup, the hp will vary. I know a vette with low compression heads running 550 hp reliably all day .

To run higher PSI than 8 - RELIABLY - most go with solid IRON blocks say a 408. I personally know a guy running a 408 block and a T-88 turbo running with 830 hp on pump gas (PurEvil on LS1tech/eastern forum) took a couple years of constant tweaking to get that setup right.
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

wow thats nuts haha... no im just planning on running the stock 5.5psi the kit comes tuned for.... maybe someone could explain this.... i was reading an article in GM HI-TECH and they were saying that scavenging isn't as important on roots supercharged vehicles as it is on naturally aspirated engines? to me it would seem the more air you throw in the more you'd want to get out right? they said that headers were more for looks then power on supercharged motors?... you'd think that better scavenging and less back pressure with a S/C would equal more power....can anyone vouch for them or is it a type'o?
            current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

oh and anybody have an idea of how long they would go before it would be too late to S/C?
              current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                I know when I was working at chevy there was one guy that had a Whipple S/c on an Avalanche. That thing was fun, let me tell you. He had the electric fans and headers and custom tune. He was pushing like 400hp. Very fun truck. It was at like 7 psi. and that was his DD.

and by the way i saw the numbers for the dino run... congrats
                current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Working...
                X