Help! Low Water Light Stays On but Water Levels are Normal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Low Water Light Stays On but Water Levels are Normal

Hi all, I am having a problem with my cooling system. For the last 2 weeks or so, my Low Water light comes on and stays on but the water levels remain the same. I know the water is being pumped because the return hose gets hot. I took it in to a mechanic shop but even they could not figure out why this was happening. I have noticed that the Low Water light comes on when I am stuck in traffic, rev the engine very high, or have been driving for a long time. However, when I turn on my front defog it takes longer for the Low Water light to come on. I am guessing and hoping that it is only a bad sensor. Can any of you help me why the light is coming on and how to fix it? Have any of you had this problem at all? Thank U - In Dire Need of Help -
    - 1995 Trans Am - V8 5.7L - Ttops - Leather - Dark Green - Flowmaster w/ Catback - KN Filter - Headers - Peformance Chip -

Yea that's a common problem. The sensor is full of crud and just needs to be cleaned. Here's a pic from Rob's (ShoeBox) site to where it's located. Take it off, clean the crud out of it and you'll be golden.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw187
      ... Have any of you had this problem at all? Thank U - In Dire Need of Help -
      It is one of the most common problems on a 4th gen. Cleaning it or a new sensor should take care of it.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Cleaning will not make it happen I have went throw about 6 off them. They are junk an the price went up on them. They do not like my car.
        Blazer

Comment

They don't like mine either lol. I just deal with the stupid light.

Jim
          President of N.I.F.B.A.
          Live in the Chicagoland area, want to be in a car club?
          Click here to visit the NIFBA

Comment

Taking the light bulb out of the dash will fix it forever.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Cleaning mine helped. I still have the original sensor.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                Taking the light bulb out of the dash will fix it forever.
                If you simply pull the harness connector off the sensor, the light will go out.

Guess I got lucky.... 13 years on the original part, now mounted on my Griffin radiator.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Cleaning mine worked fine and it had about 1/8" of crud built up on it. Still on the original as well. Guess I got lucky too, worth a shot and it's easy.
                  Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Mine had nothing on it but some rust when it quit working. I tried cleaning it with everything including a wire brush and it wouldnt work again. I had to buy another one. I'm on #3 now.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                    X