Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valves out of adjustment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTrVEJQkviQ

what do you guys think? I'm assuming they're too tight. Car revs fine over certain RPM's, but at low rpm's it sputters and runs like a dog.

Toot tight? I took it in and got a p0300 code, random misfire. All plugs and wires are fine, I've read that rockers out of adjustment can cause this.

I put a little over 1/2 turn of preload on them, but under 3/4. Stock lifters. I'm going to back them off and do 1/2 turn or a little under to see if that helps.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

For telling zero lash, are you doing the "spin the pushrod" trick, where once you feel any resistance, you stop? Then set 1/2 turn after? 1/2-3/4 turn should be good for stock lifters unless your zero lash is already starting to tighten.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

i'm using stock lifters and comp poly locks. I just spin the poly lock down until it's finger tight (which i was told is very close to zero lash, and I do spin the pushrod as well until it stops), then give it a 1/2 turn. I did a little over a half a turn. I'm thinking they're too tight, I can't think of why else the lower rpm's would be so crappy unless the valves were sticking shut.

If it isn't that, I don't know what it could be.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

If I understand correctly, you spin the pushrod until it stops to determine 0 lash? In my opinion, that's way too tight. Shoebox's instructions are here http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves and mention:

"Gauging zero lash by hand is not an exact science. When setting the valve lash with the engine not running, you can get close enough by doing the "spin the pushrod" method. Loosen the rocker arm until you can feel slack in the pushrod to rocker arm. Spin the pushrod with your fingers while tighening the rocker arm back down. When you BEGIN to feel drag while spinning the pushrod, you are at zero lash. Once zero lash is reached, stop and add your preload. DO NOT go back and try to feel the adjustment. The lifter will immediately begin to bleed down a little. Tension on the pushrod will relax and this will make it seem like your adjustment did not work. If you want to recheck zero lash, you must loosen the rocker arm nut and tighten it down again while spinning the pushrod as before. At that point you want to set the preload and LEAVE IT ALONE. "
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTrVEJQkviQ

what do you guys think? I'm assuming they're too tight. Car revs fine over certain RPM's, but at low rpm's it sputters and runs like a dog.

Toot tight? I took it in and got a p0300 code, random misfire. All plugs and wires are fine, I've read that rockers out of adjustment can cause this.

I put a little over 1/2 turn of preload on them, but under 3/4. Stock lifters. I'm going to back them off and do 1/2 turn or a little under to see if that helps.
          Didn't you post something about not being able to rev past 3500ish? When you say it revs fine over certain rpms, is this without a load? Are you running the stock metal plug boot covers?

Comment

Why does your speedo go up when you would red line?
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
              Why does your speedo go up when you would red line?
              no clue, i thought that was weird too. Low trac light comes on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Didn't you post something about not being able to rev past 3500ish? When you say it revs fine over certain rpms, is this without a load? Are you running the stock metal plug boot covers?
                Yes that's without a load. Before it wouldn't rev good at any RPM. I put in the stock injectors and it revs fine over 2k or so.

No metal plug boot covers. All wires and plugs are good. I pulled 5 plugs today and they all looked great. Not black, not white, just perfect.

Car is throwing p0300 misfire code.

Comment

Working...
                X