Do you detail your engine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you detail your engine?

I've been thinking that my car could use a good engine compartment detail. It really makes the car look new. I've never done it before; I'm afraid of messing something up. I've seen it done using aluminum foil to cover the electrical components, and something for the air cleaner also. Then brushing off loose dirt, spraying with water, and degreasing, etc.

I'm wondering what certain components I should be cautious (I have the 3.8 L). Or I'm considering just cleaning only the area of the compartment around the engine. I've noticed that my exhaust manifold appears rusty too... can't do much for that... so I just want to make things look nice.

Thanks guys...
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

simple green, a brush and low water pressure. take ur time and make sure u let it dry out afterwards
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

"Gunk engine brite" works real well on gunky build up, if you have any. Just spray it on, let it sit, brush the thick areas and hose off. But like 88bird5spd says, just be very careful with the water and let it dry throughly. Not a good idea on any pre 98 f-bodies with an optispark. Water = Death

Oh, and disconnect the battery
      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

For degreasing use non flammable brake cleaner.

For general cleaning use glass cleaner or soap and water.

Many heavy duty cleaners etch the aluminum.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

So basically make sure everything is clean and dry before I reconnect the battery, right? Is it necessary to keep the electrical covered if I take this precaution? Thanks.
          Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 98 'Bird
            So basically make sure everything is clean and dry before I reconnect the battery, right? Is it necessary to keep the electrical covered if I take this precaution? Thanks.

Never spray any electronics directly.

There is also no need to disconnect the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula
              Never spray any electronics directly.

On my 2000 ragtop (non-opti), my preferred method of cleaning and detailing the engine is to give it a good washing at the high pressure car wash whenever I wash the outside of the car. After seven years and 118,000 miles I have NEVER had any type of problem electrically, and constantly get WOWS at car shows when I tell people it's a daily driver--they can't believe it's that clean under the hood after that many miles on the car.

I have always used the high pressure wash on my cars this way, and the only time I ever had a problem was when my 92 RS had a cracked distributor cap. But based on everything I have read, I would not advise if the F-body has an Opti-spark.
              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

This is why they have to put a warning on hair dryers not to use while showering.

Comment

Well if ya think about it, arent cars ment to be in rain as well as just dry weather?? So anything electrical under the hood that needs protect from water is a sealed component, all automotive connectors use those rubber "o rings" if u will so no water gets inside anyway, to prevent corrosion. I also pressure wash my engine and have never had a problem.
                  '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                    This is why they have to put a warning on hair dryers not to use while showering.
                    They put a warning on hair dryers not to use in the shower because you don't need to disconnect the car battery when cleaning the engine?

That's a really smart reply.

Comment

I just don't want to mess anything up for the sake of making the engine look pretty; mechanical comes first.
                      Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed

Comment

They put a warning on hair dryers not to use in the shower because you don't need to disconnect the car battery when cleaning the engine?
                        They put a warning label on hair dryers because some morons don't have enough sense to not to use them in the shower.

Yes, it's true that the components under the hood are sealed with a rubber o-ring and designed to repel a small amount of moisture, however a garden hose is not a small amount of moisture. How hard is it to disconnect the battery? If one minute of your time is worth more than frying something under the hood, then by all means leave it connected.

Comment

I don't detail mine. However, every time I wash the car, I use the damp towels to wipe down under the hood, the door sills, the gas cap and the trunk areas. Therefore, it never really needs to be detailed.
                          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                            I don't detail mine. However, every time I wash the car, I use the damp towels to wipe down under the hood, the door sills, the gas cap and the trunk areas. Therefore, it never really needs to be detailed.
                            I do the same thing. The engine compartent of my Formula is just as clean as the engine compartment in my one year old car.

Non flammable brake cleaner works the best as far as I'm concerned. When I do maintenance that's what I use to clean up everything that gets oily. Simply wiping something off won't get rid of the residue that collects dirt and dust.

Advance Auto sells the stuff cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d

There's a big difference between 110 AC houshold current and 12 v DC automotive current. I've never disconnected the battery when washing my engine in any of my cars. Even spraying the battery directly has no (shocking) effect. You do have to be careful not to over-saturate electrical components/connections or they may not function correctly afterwards. But that's not what I took your comment to mean.
                              Dave M
                              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                              X