Tire question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question

I am looking at some wheels in a 18X10.5 for the rear and was wondering if 315/30/18 would fit back there...the main thing i was concerned about is the heigth of the sidewall...anyone got any experience running these size tires on a 4th gen?
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Originally posted by ws6drbob
    I am looking at some wheels in a 18X10.5 for the rear and was wondering if 315/30/18 would fit back there...the main thing i was concerned about is the heigth of the sidewall...anyone got any experience running these size tires on a 4th gen?
    The 11 inch wide rim is recommended for a 315. I think with an 18" rim your going to have a little more problems rubbing. Most people I know run 17's with a 315. Fred can Chime in.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Acceptable wheel width is determined by the tire manufacturer. Most manufacturers accept a wheel width of 10.5" - 11.5" for a 315/30-18. The BFG 315/30-18 Drag Radial requires at least an 11.0" wide wheel, for example.

That tire will be slightly smaller in outside diameter than your stock tires, but the speedo error will be less than 1%. The fact that the diameter of the tire is close to stock should not cause any issues with rubbing. To a large extent, it will depend on the actual section width of the specific tire you choose - not all "315" tires are actually 315mm (12.40") wide. Some are wider, most are narrower. Since you are on the narrow side of the acceptable wheel width, it will tend to make the actual tire section width smaller than the published number, which is usually done on an 11.0" wheel.

Whether the tires will "fit back there" depends on the offset/backspace of the 18x10.5" wheel. Do you know what the offset of the wheel is?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Im dont know for sure but i believe it is available in a +56mm which is what i was told is a good offset and will put the edge of the tire right to the outside of the fender without sticking out. I am getting them from a friend who is a wholesale dealer and i'm to hear from him on the exact specs of the wheel i am looking at, but he said he has sold the same rim to guys with 4th gens before and they looked great.
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Working...
        X