No start, no spark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start, no spark

I installed a new distributor, plug wires, distributor harness and still no go. I checked to see if it was giving me spark, and it was not. the engine turns over, but wont start. what could the problem be? coil?
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Check the harness going to the ICM for proper voltage and signal. It could be the ICM (Ignition Control Module). Rob (Shoebox) has the procedure here...

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Check the Opti harness connectors, both ends (at the Opti and on the passenger side of the intake manifold) for damaged pins.

Can we assume you changed all those parts because it wouldn't start? If so, did you have any kind of diagnostics done, have it scanned for codes, etc.?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yesr i bought a new opti harness. but i just found that it wasn't plugged in all the way, it felt like something was holding it up, but there was nothing bent or messed up so i'm thinking i bought and installed a faulty opti. because the harness plugs in fine to the old opti, and it wont plug in at all to the new one. and yes, i bought the right one, Vented Opti-Spark II. but i went cheapo and went with the Jegs brand. So they're gonna refund me in full and i'm going to buy another NEW one. Back to taking off the water pump, fans, c/s pulley, belt, opti and intake shnorkel-bob for the 3RD TIME!!!! damn.
        -Ryan-

Comment

Lol, welcome to LT1 ownership. You'll be able to change that water pump faster than a NASCAR pit crew before long
          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

If you have the correct vented Opti harness, and it wouldn't plug into the Opti, was it a "faulty Opti", or did they send you an unvented Opti? Did the Opti correctly engage the dowel pin on the cam?
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well i know they sent me the right one because there were two hose fittings for the vacuum and intake on the bottom of the opti, and the opti fit right with the dist. drive.

the car would start when i held the harness in place with a screwdriver. so either the distributor was faulty at the harness connection. now i just have to wait for payday so i can buy another distrubutor.
              -Ryan-

Comment

Working...
              X