Failed emissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed emissions

Too many hydrocarbons. What could cause this? The mechanic said the humidity contributes to hydrocarbon emission. The only thing I can think of is that can of BG fuel additive I put in a few weeks back. How do I get these numbers down?
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

What were the actual numbers, vs. limits, for HC, CO and NOx?

High HC and normal CO might indicate a leaking injectors. High HC and high CO might indicate running rich. High on all three might mean a weak catalytic converter.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      What were the actual numbers, vs. limits, for HC, CO and NOx?

High HC and normal CO might indicate a leaking injectors. High HC and high CO might indicate running rich. High on all three might mean a weak catalytic converter.
      I don't recall off hand. He couldn't give me the receipt with the information on it because he didn't charge me for the test. I'll have to go and ask him. Thanks Fred

*EDIT* My CO count was normal.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Which injectors should I go with? Ford SVO's? What flow rate?
        SOLD- Kinda miss it
        SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Pull the fuel rails up, turn the key on to pressure the fuel system (do not attempt to start the engine), and look for drips coming out of the injectors.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred. The mechanic said I had a bad O2 sensor. It passed today.

Quick question, why can't you pass inspection if you have long tubes with cats? I've heard it's because you have to relocate the position of the cat, but does that do something with emissions produced? The mechanic told me that as long as the catalytic converter is present (and not gutted), he'd pass it.
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Legally you can not touch the converter unless it is bad. Then you have to replace it with what came on it. You can not relocate it.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've got two places that will pass me through. I think long tubes may be in my future
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  Legally you can not touch the converter unless it is bad. Then you have to replace it with what came on it. You can not relocate it.
                  Does that mean that you can't legally put a high flow cat on, unless something is wrong with your original one??
                  Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorsecustoms
                    Does that mean that you can't legally put a high flow cat on, unless something is wrong with your original one??
                    No. You can not put a high flow cat on any car that came with a converter. Legally you can only put a high flow cat on a car that did not come with a converter at all. If a converter is bad you can only replace it with what the factory put on it. I am not making this up and it is ridiculous I know and I certainly don't agree with it but that is what I have read.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      No. You can not put a high flow cat on any car that came with a converter. Legally you can only put a high flow cat on a car that did not come with a converter at all. If a converter is bad you can only replace it with what the factory put on it. I am not making this up and it is ridiculous I know and I certainly don't agree with it but that is what I have read.
                      I'm not disagreeing with you. These guys simply told me that all they do is look to make sure all of the equipment is present, then emissions test it. He said that he'll pass me if I have the stuff, whether or not it's in the stock location.

Unless you're saying that the high flow cat will cause my emissions to increase beyond legal levels, or I'm misunderstanding you with something else
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                        I'm not disagreeing with you. These guys simply told me that all they do is look to make sure all of the equipment is present, then emissions test it. He said that he'll pass me if I have the stuff, whether or not it's in the stock location.

Unless you're saying that the high flow cat will cause my emissions to increase beyond legal levels, or I'm misunderstanding you with something else
                        I am not irritated at all, just answering your question. I am just telling you what the federal law is on emission equipment. That guy is willing to bend the rules. If he gets caught he will get reamed.

You could put catalytic converter on your car that worked 10 times better than the stock one and it would be illegal. The law just states that you can not alter the emission systems in any way from the way it left the factory. I think it is a stupid law. To me you should be allowed to alter it as long as you don't make the emissions go up.

Most people will pass you if they see a converter because they don't know what was stock.

My 85 Mustang GT had a single converter from the factory. I put true duals with Thrush high flow converters on it and the emissions got better. I never had a problem getting an emissions inspection.

Comment

Working...
                        X