Couple Noises - Any Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Noises - Any Ideas?

A couple of wierd sounds have been bugging me lately. One, I think is tire noise but I could be wrong. Its just a constant....moan? hum? Its very hard to describe but it gets louder when I'm slowing down and it gets louder the slower I go, until I stop. I don't hear it most times when cruising, probably because there's too much other noise - wind, exhaust, engine, etc. Its not a grinding I dont think, definitely not clicking or knocking. It is a steady noise whose pitch gets lower as the car slows. Could it be tire noise? I dont remember exactly when it started but I don't think I had it with my old tires. I bought the Goodyear Eagle GT-HR, and its not rated as being as quiet as the touring tire so that's why I'm thinking this might be normal - any thoughts? tires? bearings?

Also there's a brake noise. Sometimes, when I apply the brake at speed there will be a very high pitch squeal for a second or two then it goes away. it does not squeal all the time, and this noise doesn't happen all the time either. Seems to be when the brakes are hot. My thought is that the rotors may be glazed or otherwise contaminated causing a noise the moment friction is applied. This is not normal worn-pads noise, is it?

bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

The noise in the back is prolly from the differential. Mine's done that since I bought it, even after I had the rear end rebuilt.

I'd check the brake pads for wear, the squeal could be the wear sensors. It's pretty easy to check the pads for wear, just peek in the wheel and see how close the wear sensor is to the rotor. If it's touching, that's it.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

The brake pads look fine. I thought that worn-brake squeal usually goes away when you apply them and can be heard when they're not applied. My noise is never heard unless its applied, and then only a couple seconds.

As for the other, I'm not sure if its from the back. I almost want to say its from the front - or all 4 wheels. I really cant isolate it.

bruce
      Bruce
      01 Camaro

Comment

Working...
      X