Why did my window stop working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did my window stop working

OK I replaced my window motor last summer in my drivers door and it has been working great, really fast and no problems at all. So yesturday I roll the window down automatically and go to roll it up and NOTHING, the window is completly dead, i tried pulling it up and it didnt budge a centimeter. So now im thinking it has no power like a short or something. I pulled out my Chiltons Manuel and it says that it could be the fuses or a circuit breaker. Where is the circuit breaker in the car? Is it the box under the hood, or the take off plate to the left of the steering wheel? I checked both those places and they seemed alright. So does anybody have any idea of where else i could check to see if power is getting to it.

thanks
    tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

could be a bad switch.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The motor itself has a circuit breaker in it so if you get fingers, head, small animals stuck in the window when it's going up it does crush them. Once the motor cools off it works again. Not something you have to manually reset.
      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

yea its definalty not the motor i dont think becuase i just let the car sit in the garage overnight for it to cool off and it still doesnt do anything.

Christopher - when you say switch you mean the black thing that all the wires plug into right? Or..???
        1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

Sound like it's time to tear the door panel off. If the motor is working and just getting weak the window should go up with help. Could just be out of adjustment and binding on something. Just watch the finger tips.

Check this out from Rob's (ShoeBox) site.

The stabilizers in my windows don't stay adjusted properly and I'm forever readjusting them. When they get out of wack the window won't go up properly.

I've heard of some of the replacment motors not lasting very long either.

And like Christopherrr said, it could just be the switch.

Comment

OK i was messing around with the switch and a volt meter and i am getting power to the switch and out of nowhere the window rolled all the way up. So im pretty sure it is the window switch, my next question is that i can still roll down the passenger window from the driver door controls. Is it possible that only half of the switch is gone south?

Comment

It was the window switch. Picked one up for $28 at autozone put it in in the parking lot and works just like it did. thanks guys

Comment

Wow they had that at Autozone??

Comment

Driver side 2 switchs for like 11 dollars at yearone.com . Hope this helps.
                  Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                    Wow they had that at Autozone??
                    come on get into the Zone, AutoZone. LOL!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                    X