2.73 to 3.73 gear change...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.73 to 3.73 gear change...

For those who have done this conversion. I need to know the impressions you guys got from doing the swap: How much quicker?, How much more responsive?, and how bad of mpg loss?. because i have 2.73's and i feel that my car could be quicker off the line even though its still pretty quick.
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

like nike says... just do it!
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
      like nike says... just do it!
      I agree...you cant lose...you can only gain...unless you go too too big but 3.73 is fine for an automatic.

Comment

I went from 3.23s to 3.73s and the difference was decent. From 2.73 to 3.73 would be a nice wake up call.

Comment

Think of it this way..... off the line, it will feel like you added 37% more rear wheel torque than you have right now...... Hopefully, you have some sticky tires
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

do it, i went from 3.08s to 3.42s and i think thats the major reason my car was 1 second fast then stock(among other things) also dont forget since u have a 2 series carrier u gotta get gears made for the 2 series carrier
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

all i have to say is

your car really really becomes alive! tip in the throttle is the rev and surge is instant! You loose a little bit of grunt the top, but the surge from the line amazingly different from 2.73s.

do it.

I lost +-2 mpg overall. Not bad...I still get 26-27 with a host of mods and a tune...

You'll have to do a complete carrier, ring, pinion swap...don't forget the ABS reluctor ring too. with a complete bearing, seal rebuild the rearend (suggested) you'll be set back about $800 with labor. At least for me.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

i thought u could just get the gears as richmond(i think) makes them for the 2 series carrier for GM 7 5/8 rears
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I went from 2:73 to 3:73. In 2 years I snapped both rearends. Whatever you do DO NOT get Richman! The 3rd time I went with a GM factory 3:73 and it's been 5+ years with no problems.

The difference is day and night. If you have A4 you will notice you will be reving higher. Since I have M6, that 6th gear does wonders on the highway. Only complaint I got is minor gear whinage.
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I went from 2.73's to 3.42's on my 2000 vert by doing a full used axle swap over. I could handle the heavy lifting but didn't have confidence in doing a gear setup. I had some confidence in the used rear being quiet, and the entire unit cost less than $200. Buying gears + a new carrier is going to run you alot more than that, which is why the 3.42's become so attractive.

You also have to consider the cost of programming. Don't forget that.

I lost about 2-3mpg. I'm not sure how A4 LT1 guys are saying they get 26mpg with 3.73's, but that doesn't seem possible to me. No matter how you look at it, figure on losing about 2mpg. It doesn't sound like much but 30 miles less range on a tank can be a pain, especially on LT1 cars with the smaller tanks.

My 2.73 LS1 got about 24mpg, and now gets about 21-22 after the swap.

It launches much harder. 2.73's with 275's would struggle to do a burnout on stickier surfaces. 3.42's just burn, and I'm out of first before most people riding in the car realize what's going on.

If you use your car as a toy, it is worth it. Otherwise, leave well enough alone. The costs really add up, just make sure to consider all of the costs (parts/install/fuel economy/tuning) and if it is still attractive, go ahead.

Also realize your going to be running quite a bit higher rpm on the highway, so if you have aftermarket exhaust you could end up boomy in your cruising rpm. Not as much of a concern on LT1 cars though. They sound so much nicer.

Comment

I too have done the 2.73 to 3.73 gear swap. Best bang for buck and seat of the pants I ever spent money on that 94 z28.
                      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

dont fear the gear!!
                        forged 383 LT1,11.5:1 compression,main girdle,custom comp cam,1.6 pro magnum rocker arms,ported heads,hooker supercomps,3"true duals,52mm throttle body,accel 300+ ignition,centerforce dfx clutch,B&M shifter,soon a 175 shot.

Comment

I did the same as another poster above- swapped a 3.42 axle out of a wrecked Firebird- have to be sure to get the correct, either 3-channel or 4-channel ABS- depends on whether you have traction control or not-
                          Went from 2.73 to 3.42, and took the aluminum driveshaft, too! Big difference, especially in an LS1 car, which doesn't make as much torque down in the low RPM's

I would consider going to 3.73's but this opportunity came along and I jumped on it- I used to run 4.10's in an LT1 equipped Caprice, but that barge was a lot heavier and harder to launch from a standstill. Every time you leave a stop light or merge into freeway traffic you will grin....
                          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

went from 2.73 to 3.73 huge difference...95 Z28 A4
                            on highway at 60 it revs at 2,400 rpm not bad on gas milege..
                            went with GM Motive gears the best. do it once..
                            best mod for the cost...get a good shop tho.
                            eddie
                            1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                              95 Z28 A4
                              on highway at 60 it revs at 2,400 rpm not bad on gas milege..
                              Dang that pretty high. I like going 75 at 1750rpm's.

Hmm im going to have to think about it now, I was considering the change.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X