not as much power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not as much power

95 Trans am lt1 I blew a head gasket. So I we took them off I had a comp valve job done. put Shorty headers on, and an underdrive pully. My friends is a mechanic he did all the work we torqued it down to specs new wires plugs ect. No check engine lights came on. car idles fine. We tightned the valves down to 3/4 a turn the book called for 1. I was told they run better a little loose. There was no water in the oil when I changed it. The car turns over several times and then pops off impressivly I thought this car would have a ton of power...... but It doesnt have as much as is did with the blown head gasket. (it lost a bit when that happened) i realize its new valves ect. so Its not like I've hit really got to run it. its not pulling as well in 5th gear for one. Besides the leaks from the headers there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. It idles fine revs fine just not as much power. Would the pully and headers change the torque band that much? Do I need to re program the computer? If I hooked something up wrong wouldn't a check engine light come on? Need a little help I just spent 2k getting this thing back up.... and its not even where it was.

Originally posted by genoh7
    Besides the leaks from the headers .
    That right there is going to kill power. Any exhaust leaks upstream of the oxygen sensor will skew the readings and create a false lean. The computer therefore adds fuel to compensate. Your HP and torque go out the window. Fix those before you go any further.

Comment

Man that was hard to read. ha ha ha.

Are you getting enough fuel? Is there any mis-fire?
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I think I fixed most of them... those bolts are a little hard to get to. would headers change the curve that much? there is no miss fire in fact I had my dad drive it and it went up the rpm pretty easily. He doesnt see any loss of power. Any suggestions on getting a good seal on the Headers? If I cant get them sealed well would it be worth it to get a set of good long tubes and take it and have it done if I can find someone? People have told me that those manifolds are so efficient that you wont see a difference. Which sounds like bs to me

Comment

Originally posted by genoh7
          I think I fixed most of them... those bolts are a little hard to get to. would headers change the curve that much? there is no miss fire in fact I had my dad drive it and it went up the rpm pretty easily. He doesnt see any loss of power. Any suggestions on getting a good seal on the Headers? If I cant get them sealed well would it be worth it to get a set of good long tubes and take it and have it done if I can find someone? People have told me that those manifolds are so efficient that you wont see a difference. Which sounds like bs to me
          Like I said, ANY exhaust leak upstream of the oxygen sensors will be picked up as a false lean, the computer will add fuel.... killing HP and torque. Percy's dead soft aluminum header gaskets and locking header bolts are the only combination I use.

Comment

i do have a decent exhaust leak as well from my stock manifolds. Do you guys think that is why my car didnt run that well at the track? it doesnt leak as much once the car is warmed up.
            1995 LT1 bird
            10" 2800 stall coan converter,beefed tranny, supreme shift,motive 373 gears,3 inch catback with a flowmaster muffler, pcmforless tuned,slp cold air intake,tb bypassed, better flowing intake elbow, air foil,poly trans mount.
            275/40/17 Nitto NT555R extreme drags in rear

2005 Dode SRT-4
            agp billet adjustable wastegate,Maxxfab 3 inch catless downpipe, borla catback ,K&N drop in filter,mapclamped,tuned,mopar blow off valve, Prothane motor mount inserts,21 pounds of boost!
            6 dics cd changer, 10 inch MTX fully loaded with moonroof and viper style seats

Comment

Working...
            X