Running 4" Wide up front, Rubbing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 4" Wide up front, Rubbing!

Alright. Well I was talking to one of my buddies at work and I was telling him I was looking for a set of DR's or something. So he tells me that he has a set of 15x8.5ish and 15x4's for the front. Considering We were pretty good friends he sold them to me with Tires for $300. Talk about a steal.The rears fit fine, and dont stick out, but the front rub on the Caliper. I heard that you just have to grind down some of the caliper. They are ProStar rims I think.
    Do I have to grind it and run some spacers?

I mean They Clean up very nice as you can see, and hope I can get them to fit. Fred?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

You need a 5/16" hub-centric spacer in the front, and longer wheel studs. No grinding in the front. Surprised you didn't have to grind in the back.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      You need a 5/16" hub-centric spacer in the front, and longer wheel studs. No grinding in the front. Surprised you didn't have to grind in the back.
      ha ha. i started grinding on one side already. what an idiot. i should of asked first. I no this sounds dumb but whats a hub-centric spacer. i no what the spacers look like but is this one special? Can i get away with a little longer nug nuts. I saw at the store they have some cragar specific lug nuts that were longer like 1" or something. I'd really hate to have to change the studs, but if i have to i have to. Is there normally grinding requiered in the back too? i have not mounted them yet.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Hub-centric means the spacer is held tightly centered on the hub because the center hole in the spacer is exactly the same diameter as the hub. Actually a bit hard to find. But to be NHRA legal, that is what you need. You can get plain old spacers at just about any auto parts stores, but the center hole will be larger than the hub and they will not be centered on the hub unless you hold them there while you tighten the lugs.

To be NHRA legal, the lug nuts must engage at least 1/2" of the stud threads in the hex portion of the lug nut. The Welds require a "long shank mag style" lug nut, and NHRA will not allow you to take any credit for the part of the shank that is threaded onto the studs, only for the portion of the stud that is in the "hex". Basically, it means the ends of the studs have to be close to the end of the hole in the lug.

The Welds require a specific length shank. All the info about fitting the Wleds on a 4th Gen is in this writeup on the Wheels & Tires FAQ at CamaroZ28.com:

http://camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312442
        LUGS

You need different lug nuts for the Welds. You can not use the stock conical seat lugs. The weld part # and description:

Part # 601-1422
        X-TRA LONG MAG SHANK
        1.380" Shank Length X .687 Diameter
        12MM x 1.5 RH Open End Nuts with Centered Washers
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred, Alright one last question. I got the spacers for the front, Now Im curious if I need Spacers for the Rear? Is there A lot that I Have to grind down on the Rear? I plan on Slapping the wheels on today after a nice cleaning. Any Information will do. I went to a tire store that I was refered too. Got all the lug nuts/washers and spacers for $40. Not bad considering I first bought the lug nuts alone at Pep-Boys for $45. Spacers at Pep-Boys were $14 each.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I can only tell you what I had to do with the 93-97 rear brakes. There is a photo of my brake caliper in the FAQ post. The 98-02 brakes may be completely different.
            Fred

Comment

THanks for all your help Fred. they are on. Going to start a new thread for pictures.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X