Camaro 94 Anti-Freeze Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro 94 Anti-Freeze Question

I recently took my vehicle to have a Radiator purge of it's anti-freeze and refilled with brand new liquid. About a week later I noticed my car overheating even more then it use too. I was freaked out when my anti-freeze started pouring out of the cap, with a brown mud-like texture. When I open it, it was brown, not the stal green, which brings me to believe something bad happen. I'm open to opinion and conclusions. Thanks for your future replies.
    1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Did they refill is with "conventional" (green) coolant, or with an extended-life coolant (orange)? After the service was completed, did you verify that the coolant was in fact replaced, and clean? [deleted---- assumed it was an LT1 - sorry about that]
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

She doesn't have the LT1 engine. Does the 3.4 use the reverse cooling too?
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My error..... so few V6's around that I forget that they even exist.

Strike the last two sentences.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Aren't you supposed to be using dex cool? The orange stuff and NOT the green stuff. I mixed the two by accident and the results were catastrophic. My coolant system became so clogged that it needed three flushes just to get it back to normal.
          My opinion: Your coolant system is clogged or you have air in the system.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

the brown milky coolant (i'm guessing) could indicate that the mechanic just added conventional green to the orange dex cool. I say flush it yourself if you dont mind crawlin under the car for 10 mins. and make sure you have the "screw" bleed valves open about three turns when you are filling it back up with Dex-Cool Coolant (it must be ORANGE). the valves make it so all the air is purged from the system. and dont forget to put some rags under the valves and screw them back tight when fluid starts to appear at the bleed valves. BTW thats a negative on the v6 being reverse-flow cooling system.
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Just for the record, the 94's did not use Dex-Cool. It was introduced in 96. Someone could have switched it at some point in the last 13 years, but that's why I asked which coolant they used. In theory, a "power flush" would have removed all the old coolant, and avoided the consequences of mixing the two types. Appears they may not have flushed the cooling system at all.
              Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                Just for the record, the 94's did not use Dex-Cool. It was introduced in 96. Someone could have switched it at some point in the last 13 years, but that's why I asked which coolant they used. In theory, a "power flush" would have removed all the old coolant, and avoided the consequences of mixing the two types. Appears they may not have flushed the cooling system at all.
                Whoa, thanks Fred. I definitely was not aware of that! We power flushed the heck out of my 94 V6 and the dex cool actually has it running a few shades cooler than the previous fluid.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Found a good article on Dex-Cool, seems to be unbiased
                  Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

thanks guys, I'm going to try a purge myself. I don't think it's that hard to do. I'll try dex cool and make sure I flush at least 3 times before adding the organe liquid.
                    1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 Zeon

Comment

Working...
                    X