Opinions on a carbon fiber hood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a carbon fiber hood

I found a nice carbon fiber cowl induction hood for LT1's. What is everyone's opinion on it? I personally think it would look good. It's expensive, but would probably wind up saving me money in the long run over a fiberglass hood as it doesn't require any priming or painting. Not to mention, I personally love the look of black/ carbon fiber hoods on red or blue cars

http://octanemotorsports20.chainreac...oducts_id=2972

Also, not that I would ever spend the money on this, but what do you guys think of this non- pop up headlight conversion kit?-

http://octanemotorsports20.chainreac...oducts_id=2739

Not sure if I like it or hate it. I think it makes our cars somewhat similar looking to C6's. Not sure if that's good or bad.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

I'm not a fan of carbon fiber hoods my self. No other reason then its just not for me. But i really like the headlight conversions. They just tend to be a bit expensive.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I was looking at that hood but i like ws6 better but need see it on a car
      1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

i wouldn't let a carbon fiber hood touch my car but them headlights is pretty cool

Comment

they are probably hella less of a PITA than the pop-ups, and they look hella nice. a thousand bucks is a $#!t load. that could be quite a bit of horsepower. that's me, but its your wallet. as for the carbon fiber hood, you can get a ram air hood and airbox for almost the same amount as just the carbon hood. but would you get it painted?
          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Man.........ricers have tainted the image of carbon fiber....!

From what I've seen, you can paint a carbon fiber hood with proper prep and it's lighter than fiberglass from what I understand.

So you don't have to look like a ricer-wanna-be!

There's a company on ebay that has the hoods, fenders, front end, rear hatch and rear brake-light panel (proper name of part?) and rear bumper cover for f-bodies.

I did consider doing the hood and front fenders but I thought the same thing......if you don't paint it, it would look (as Wolfdog would say)..."ricey."
            Darrin C
            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

You really think it would look "ricey"? I think they look pretty cool. I've seen a few domestics with carbon fiber interiors which look fine. I don't get why that's ok, but carbon fiber hoods should be left for the imports. Then again, a lot of people tell me I have bad taste lol

I like this look-

I wouldn't have it painted if I bought it. They come coated so they don't fade in the sun. I've seen a number of these hoods on cars in my school's parking lot and I thought they looked nice. Especially on blue 350 Z's. Well, worst comes to worst, they can always be painted. This won't be for a long time though. I'm basically broke right now.
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

If you like it, it's your car, do it. I wouldn't, but that's me. Do you wear checks with plaid too? lol, j/k
                Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

CF hoods are raw.

I'd get one, paint the edges body color and leave the raised section edge unpainted.

I want to get a WS6 CF hood...can't really find one, but that's what I'd do. It'll look stock but on the raised edge would it show carbon fiber...everything else would be painted.

Again, Carbon Fiber is raw and a definate +

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                    CF hoods are raw.

I'd get one, paint the edges body color and leave the raised section edge unpainted.

I want to get a WS6 CF hood...can't really find one, but that's what I'd do. It'll look stock but on the raised edge would it show carbon fiber...everything else would be painted.

Again, Carbon Fiber is raw and a definate +
                    ^^^^ See, someone agrees with me (kinda)
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr

Exactly my thoughts. I just wish the lines of my car would work with that look. I saw an Audi A4 painted that way & it looked sick.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

Holy S#@&! That's actually a very good idea!......
                        Darrin C
                        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
                        X