Anyone ever messed around with TBI??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever messed around with TBI??

My RS obviously has a 305 TBI motor. I've been thinking more and more about it and I think i may try and go the whole TBI performance route. It's inferior technology for it's day but you can get some pretty decent numbers from them with some hard work. I've been looking around at throttle body spacers. And my first question to any of you is will i have a hood clearance problem if I space my TB up with a performance spacer? There's not a whole lot of room under there as it is especially with an open element air cleaner on it. I also do not want to switch to a cowl hood either. Also, anyone really ever play around with a TBI motor enough to get some performance out of them? give me some feedback. Thanks.
    1992 RS 305 TBI, 700r4, 3:42 gears, Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip, MSD wires, coil, cap & rotor, Hypertech Chip, 180 degree thermostat, 200 degree fan switch,

With that engine, You have to go internal to make some serious power. I would not spend my money on a spacer. Spend it on like some Headers,High flow cats, Maybe some head work. That should get you closer to 300rwhp. I think those engines are well under 200rwhp. Something around 185rwhp.
    They are rated at 220hp at the crank. Do a rebuild or drop in an LS1. That would wake it up.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I've owned an 86 Monte Carlo with a TBI 4.3 liter V6 and I've owned an 88 Formula with a TBI 305. Both were garbage. You're better off saving up for a motor swap, honestly.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

The quickest 3rd gen I saw was a TPI with head work/cam/and bolt ones. He ws able to get it into the high 13's. He had a lot of suspension work too.
        Your better off getting a swap or 4th gen.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

305TBI's have 170hp/255ftlbs stock. I know all about them. I just pulled one out of my 91 RS to drop in a LT1. Before the swap I had headers, high flow cat, flowmaster cat-back, cold air intake, throttle body spacer & underdrive pulleys. Those mods made the car fun to drive but it was far from fast. Sometimes ricers would even beat me. Take if from me, someone who was in your shoes, if you really want to go fast, save your money for an engine swap. If you arent mechanicly inclined, trade in your car for a F-body with TPI injection or maybe even a 4th gen Z28/trans am.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            The quickest 3rd gen I saw was a TPI with head work/cam/and bolt ones. He ws able to get it into the high 13's. He had a lot of suspension work too.
            Your better off getting a swap or 4th gen.
            what about that one that we seen that beat the cammed ls1
            2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
              what about that one that we seen that beat the cammed ls1
              Im sure that was far from being bolt on of stock engine for that matter. And im sure not street legal.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X