Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much hp to expect from pulleys

how much hp should i expect from some pulley's,Is it worth $265
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Dont waste your money. Then your going to have charging issues down the road. Get the headers or roller rockers.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

both shops are tellin me Ill gain 15hp from some pulleys
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
        both shops are tellin me Ill gain 15hp from some pulleys
        Stop listening to those shops. Those stupid shops are the ones that tell Ricers they get 100 hp from a wing and body kits. My brother bought one for his 96 Z and sold it 3 weeks later. Dont bother with that.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Im trying to find a mod i can do that will cost no more then $400,If I get headers it will cost me about $800 dollars with the install included,For 8 bills i dont know if its worth it

Comment

I can buy afford chrome headers,these will still last for a long time and get as much hp as cermaic ??? i dont care if they change color

Comment

Pulleys aren't worth it.

Chrome headers suck. They will discolor, then peel, then rust. Go stainless or ceramic coated. Stainless lasts longer (nearly forever) and retains heat to help scavanging.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

Anyone who tells you that you will gain 15 HP with under-drive pullies on an LT1 doesn't have the slightest idea what they are talking about. Gains like that are remotely possible on an engine that has a belt driven water pump. But the LT1 does not have a belt driven water pump. Its gear driven off the back of the cam sprocket.

Here's a dyno test of an underdrive pulley on an LT1 engine. The gain was 0.7 HP peak.... less than 1 HP. There gain was a bit larger on average, but nowhere near 15HP.

http://www.ws6.com/mod-2.htm

You might want to look at the other dyno tests on that site:

http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i have a 94 v6 camaro and i put the pulleys on it from summitracing.com for like 60 bucks and for only 60 bucks and that was only the crank i could tell a difference not worth 265 bucks but for 60 bucks or so from summit like i did i would suggest them just a couple bucks and a couple minutes of work youll know a diff.
                  94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                  94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                  75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                  1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                  GOT PSi?
                  Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Again.... your V6 has a belt driven water pump, so slowing down the belt reduces the power consumed primarily by the water pump. The LT1 V8 does not have the same belt driven pump. It has a pump driven by a gear off the back of the cam sprocket on the timing set. It does not slow down when you put an underdrive pulley on it. It does not produce as much of a power gain as it does on your V6. Did you look at the dyno pull? Did you read what I posted?

The LT1 pulley is expensive, because it is integrated with the harmonic damper. I have never seen one that costs $265 - that's ridiculous. So I don't know where he got his price. You can get a "sandwich style" pulley that bolts behind the stock damper for less than $100. It will slow things down, but it adds mass to the rotating assembly. Not a good idea. An integrated underdrive pulley/damper from ASP will run less than $200, including an underdrive alternator pulley.

I bought the ASP set in 1995 when my car was less than 1 year old. It produced NO MEASURABLE OR SENSIBLE POWER GAINS. It was tested using a high-end accelerometer. No improvement in ET. But, it did produce a charging system that could not maintain full charge at the stock 800 RPM idle speed used on the M6 cars, at least not with the A/C and headlights or brake lights on. Its even worse on an A4 with the 550 PRM idle speed. Poor system voltage will hurt an EFI car's performance.

You will not feel the difference on an LT1.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

180 for the install and 85 for the pulley

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                        180 for the install and 85 for the pulley
                        I wouldn't put one on my car if it was free.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Why not save up your money to buy a mod that actually shows some proven results?

As Fred said, this site is a good start http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm
                          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

You're willing to spend $400 on mods, but rather than going for something useful like gears or suspension pieces, you want something that people are telling you is useless and will give you charging problems...

I have a feeling you're going for the pulleys. Why is beyond me. For that money, you could probably swap to 4.10's
                            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                            SOLD- Good riddance!
                            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

To pay someone $180 (3 hours of labor??) for a job that can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes is insane. Get under the car and save some money. That will let your $400 go a lot farther.
                              Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X