Clutch #2-Extreme Chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch #2-Extreme Chatter

So I installed a new clutch b/c my first SPEC Stage1 was slipping like crazy and I had nothing but issues with it. What do I do? BUy another SPEC clutch and hope that it does not chatter like the first one and it does not slip. Well the slipping part I have not tested yet b/c I need to break in the clutch, But man the car is almost undriveable b/c it chatters so much. If u give it any gas and then release the clutch it shakes the entire car, and pretty bad. Im going to record it to show u guys. You would think I had a Stage 3+ on there but its the Stage 1. I dont know what Can Cause this. I did have the flywheel resurfaced. THe Slave and Master are new. Any Idea's please feel free. Im completely fed up with this issue. Its to the point that I dont know if Im going to stick with this car b/c of it. Owned the car for less than a year and have dropped the transmission 3 times already.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

I'm doubting the problems are with your SPEC clutches. Maybe your tranny? I'm not going to doubt your install, I'm sure that's good. I would start looking somewhere else. That's pretty fishy.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      I'm doubting the problems are with your SPEC clutches. Maybe your tranny? I'm not going to doubt your install, I'm sure that's good. I would start looking somewhere else. That's pretty fishy.
      I doubt its that TRans. I have never heard someone having the same feeling from a bad transmission. My transmission shifts not great but fine. The rear is total crap but I dont know. I mean Its absolutly horrible to drive. Yeah The Install is Pretty easy So Im sure I didnt mess that up. Everything went Pretty smooth when I was putting everything back together. I heard SPEC is a hit or miss type of thing. Im going to call them up.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        So I installed a new clutch b/c my first SPEC Stage1 was slipping like crazy and I had nothing but issues with it. What do I do? BUy another SPEC clutch and hope that it does not chatter like the first one and it does not slip. Well the slipping part I have not tested yet b/c I need to break in the clutch, But man the car is almost undriveable b/c it chatters so much. If u give it any gas and then release the clutch it shakes the entire car, and pretty bad. Im going to record it to show u guys. You would think I had a Stage 3+ on there but its the Stage 1. I dont know what Can Cause this. I did have the flywheel resurfaced. THe Slave and Master are new. Any Idea's please feel free. Im completely fed up with this issue. Its to the point that I dont know if Im going to stick with this car b/c of it. Owned the car for less than a year and have dropped the transmission 3 times already.
        I had the same problem with a SPEC stage 2 clutch disc. It would shake so bad people would turn and look. The problem was the clutch surfaces were not parallel. I replaced it with a SLP clutch and the problem went away.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I heard SPEC is a hit or miss type of thing. Im going to call them up.
          Not true. What's happening to you is not all that common when compared to the number of clutches they sell.

All clutch company's release "bad batches" but the odds of getting 2 bad clutches in a row is rare. Try getting your hands on a stock clutch for cheap and see if it goes away with that, that'll tell you if it's the clutch or something else.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Can I buy a stock Pressure plate and Install it with the SPEC Pressure plate. I heard that its b/c the SPEC clutch has little notches. I just spend 2 hours searching on LS1TECH and all the horror stories were about SPEC! I don't know but that's just insane. I think I'm going to go with an LS6 clutch kit. I'm hoping that will solve everything. Its ridiculous how bad it is.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Do you mean a stock clutch disc? The answer to that is yes.

FYI when I was talking to SPEC about their clutches the guy said that all of the pressure plates for an application were the same no matter what stage you got. Only the clutch discs are different from the stage 1 to stage 5. Another words a stage 1 pressure plate is the same as a stage 2,3,4,5.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Just called SPEC. I told him that its the second clutch and its absolutely horrible to drive. He gave me some tips on bleeding it which im going to do. He said that the clutch pedal should be around the middle. Right now its about 1 cm off the floor board. I asked him what do I do about the Clutter. He recommended that I drive it the 500 miles recommended for break in and see how it gets. I asked him, "What do I do it it continues to chatter like it is, Do you guys have a Money back guarantee?" They said if it continues to give them a call back and they will try and see what they can do. I highly doubt they will return my money, But I dont know at this point Im starting to hate SPEC. Sorry Raro, but yeah its not workin for me man. Even if they did return my money, That means I have to drop the Trans again which is not the easiest thing in the world to be doing.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

They will not return your money. They will only exchange it for a new one. That is a big problem if it is your daily driver. It forced me to buy the SLP clutch disc, install it, then send the SPEC back for exchange. Oh he is crazy if he thinks it will work itself out. and it has nothing to do with bleeding the clutch. He is putting you off.

BTW I had my trans out I think 3 times to get mine fixed. I do hate SPECS. There aint no starting about it.

Comment

Options
                    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

Im thinking that IF im going to drop the transmission one more time im going to go with an LS6 clutch/pp/ and flywheel. I know he's putting me off but what can I do. I dont know if I should try and just change the Clutch disk. YOu think it will make a diff. Can I run that CF clutch disk with the SPEC Pressure Plate?
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Im thinking that IF im going to drop the transmission one more time im going to go with an LS6 clutch/pp/ and flywheel. I know he's putting me off but what can I do. I dont know if I should try and just change the Clutch disk. YOu think it will make a diff. Can I run that CF clutch disk with the SPEC Pressure Plate?
                        I'm not 100% sure. I am running the SLP clutch with the SPEC pressure plate. When I was looking for discs for LS1s I noticed it said the center force was 11" and the Mcleed was 12". I thought the LT1s and LS1 both had a 11" disc. I know they are different designs. All I can is if the one that is in it is 11", I'm sure the Centerforce one will work. If you are going to buy a clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel you are going to drop $750. If it were me I would go with trying a $120 disc first. Yea it's a gamble.

I guess SLP got out of making clutches along with 1994-1995 headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                          If you are going to buy a clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel you are going to drop $750. If it were me I would go with trying a $120 disc first. Yea it's a gamble.
                          Thanks for the replies guys, Seriously I thank u.

I found a site that sells the LS6 clutch kit (PP/Clutch and flywheel) for $435 shipped. They have the LS7 clutch kit with LS6 flywheel for the same price. Its a lot of money but What else can I do. I am thinking about just buying the Clutch plate. I can Measure My old SPEC Clutch PLate and see if its the 11". The old Clutch PLate after like 10k mile was almost completely gone from one side. The PP and Flywheel had heat spots like crazy all over. Ill post pictures later.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Hey if the pressure plate and flywheel have heat spots on them that can cause a clutch to chatter like crazy. You didn't say that up front.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, Seriously I thank u.

I found a site that sells the LS6 clutch kit (PP/Clutch and flywheel) for $435 shipped. They have the LS7 clutch kit with LS6 flywheel for the same price. Its a lot of money but What else can I do. I am thinking about just buying the Clutch plate. I can Measure My old SPEC Clutch PLate and see if its the 11". The old Clutch PLate after like 10k mile was almost completely gone from one side. The PP and Flywheel had heat spots like crazy all over. Ill post pictures later.
                              That's a great price for all of that. My flywheel alone cost like $350.

Comment

Working...
                              X