Problems with Mechanic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Mechanic

Aight guys, stay with me as I vent about what just happened. There is a loud squeaking noise coming from my front passenger side wheel.

Attempt #1 - Pistons? (what the caliper slides on) are apparently not sliding well. It was greased and something else was cleaned. Price - $125 Result - Squeak becomes louder.
    Attempt #2 - New calipers were put on each side. Price - $103 after $50 discount because problem was not fixed the first time. Result - Squeak becomes louder on passenger side.

At this point I am pretty !@#&*^ off . I go down to the shop and vent a little. I said after some heated discussion: "You guys are certified mechanics, I've paid over $200 dollars for a simple squeak and after several trips down here you guys can't $*@(#*% get it right." I said this after I brought up the point that after several trips down there to the shop for other things, the work was not done right the first time. Then the mechanic blows up and using several expletives then tells me that a Z28 dual exhaust muffler does not fit on a stock V6 exhaust system because we had issues with that. I thought it did?! I thought it was just a simple job of welding it on. Then he called the muffler a piece of #@*($% part. It only had 30,000 miles on it and to me, looked new.

This guy completely blew up on me and ragged on how bad it was and how it did not fit. He said he would pay for the wheel bearing (which i think the problem is) himself using not those same words. I am not going to this shop ever again. I'm glad it will be fixed for free but this guy should have fixed right out of two tries.

So? Was I right to be frustrated?
    Does the V8 muffler fit?
    Do you think it is the wheel bearing making this annoyingly loud squeak?

Help Please!

2002 Firehawk Sold

That loud sqweaking, is it only when weight transfers side to side...a sqweak-sqweak-sqweak-sqweak-sqweak, or a constant sqweak?

A V8 muffler will fit on a V6 just fine...you just need adapt a V6's 2 inch intermediate pipe with a V8's 2.5.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

constant squeak, weight or angle does not change the sound.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Well, there are 3 reason for a constant sqweak...

A rubbing brake pad shim...rubbing against the rotor.
        A bad axle bearing.
        A bad axle shaft.

I'd check to see if your pad indicators aren't bent and rubbing against the rotor...then again, I can't recall if rear pads have indicators.

But I had sqweak that turned out to be a bad bearing and chewed axle shaft.

My brake pad shim sqweaks, but only on transitions...basically I have some play in my axle shaft allowing it to shift and hit the shim.

Also, check to see if your e-brake release fully...sometimes, a show that won't release fully and barely touch the rotor creates a sqweak also.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

yes a v8 exhaust minus headers and ypipe are on my 94 v6 right now and the only reason i had to weld it is because i got pissed and just cut the exhaust in pieces threw in a magnflow high flow cat and bam she was good.
          94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
          1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
          GOT PSi?
          Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Technically you should run the z28 intermediate pipe as well, that way the only weld is under the passenger side compartment.

Comment

Here's what happened. They took it on a 60 MILE test drive to hear the squeak and they said they heard nothing. Then they put it up on the jack and took some "rust" off behind the rotor. *PUFF* the squeak is now magically gone. When I got the car back it was filthy. I washed it the day before. Worst part: They smoked inside of the car

I'm trying to find a mechanic I can trust.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
              X