transmission winding noise at high rpms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission winding noise at high rpms

Hey guys, I got about 80k miles on my camaro now. I notice that around 1200 miles ago, my transmission has started to omit a sort of 'winding' noise when its in 1,2,3 at around >3k rpms. The clutch and flywheel as well as pressure plate were all replace around 5k miles ago, and were working great, so im fairly sure its in my transmission. The sound seems to go away or at least be less noticeable if i hold onto the shift level at those high rpms... However this may just be a misnomer. I've tightened the bolts on the shifter and made sure that the shifter cap is on tightly.

Has anyone had something similar to this? Or does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Again, the noise is almost like the sound of gears that are not oiled properly rubbing when they contact. I checked the fluid level on my trans and it started to leak out a bit even before the plug was out all the way, so it seems filled to the brim. The fluid was also changed when i replaced my clutch 5000 or so miles ago.

Thanks in advance!

-Erik

I've noticed a whining winding kind of sound from the trans especially in lower gears. I've heard it as long as I've had the car, best heard with the windows up and accelerating. I can hear it well over engine noise. I've always wondered the same.
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by circut
      Hey guys, I got about 80k miles on my camaro now. I notice that around 1200 miles ago, my transmission has started to omit a sort of 'winding' noise when its in 1,2,3 at around >3k rpms. The clutch and flywheel as well as pressure plate were all replace around 5k miles ago, and were working great, so im fairly sure its in my transmission. The sound seems to go away or at least be less noticeable if i hold onto the shift level at those high rpms... However this may just be a misnomer. I've tightened the bolts on the shifter and made sure that the shifter cap is on tightly.

Has anyone had something similar to this? Or does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Again, the noise is almost like the sound of gears that are not oiled properly rubbing when they contact. I checked the fluid level on my trans and it started to leak out a bit even before the plug was out all the way, so it seems filled to the brim. The fluid was also changed when i replaced my clutch 5000 or so miles ago.

Thanks in advance!

-Erik
      Do you notice any noise while you're in neutral with the clutch pedal up? (probably have to be at a stop for this one). That's what I have happening with my Camaro along with the same thing that you're talking about. I suspect my input shaft bearing is going bad. If that's the case, you're going to be needing a new rear main seal soon if u don't fix it. I found that one out the hard way.
      Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

5k miles, how many months? if >12=change it again.
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorsecustoms
          Do you notice any noise while you're in neutral with the clutch pedal up? (probably have to be at a stop for this one). That's what I have happening with my Camaro along with the same thing that you're talking about. I suspect my input shaft bearing is going bad. If that's the case, you're going to be needing a new rear main seal soon if u don't fix it. I found that one out the hard way.
          I agree. There might be some vibration that only occurs at certaing rpms. If it is the shaft, I would replace the rear main seal anyway, since your going habe the car in the air.
          1997 Formula WS6
          43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
          2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
          18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

Comment

Cant really hear anything when the car is idling and the clutch is up / down. There really isnt any noticeable noise. Its freaking pouring right now, but tomorrow im gonna see if having the clutch up / down while at 3k rpms in neutral will produce a noise..

Does anyone happen to know how much it might cost (on average) to have a shop replace this bearing you guys are talking about?

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boy7789
              5k miles, how many months? if >12=change it again.

Nah, I changed the stuff out this February.

Comment

Cant really hear anything when the car is idling and the clutch is up / down. There really isnt any noticeable noise. Its freaking pouring right now, but tomorrow im gonna see if having the clutch up / down while at 3k rpms in neutral will produce a noise..

Does anyone happen to know how much it might cost (on average) to have a shop replace this bearing you guys are talking about?

-Erik
                I don't know about the T56, but my buddy just had his T5 done. Premium bearings and synchros with a new input shaft (his bearing and shaft were shot), plus labor for 750 (trans was already out). Once again, I'm not sure about the T56, but for the T5, to replace the input shaft bearing, you pretty much have to take the whole thing apart anyway, so you might as well just do everything while you're in there.
                Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

The whining noise could be a worn out counter-shaft or internals. Get it properly diagnosed at a reputable shop (not the big transmission chains).
                  Darrin C
                  '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                  07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

What do you guys think about a "winding" noise that happens at idle? On an auto trans? I sometimes get this wierd sound that starts low pitch and gets higher and higher, and then goes away. I have heard it when in gear but also at idle, and at different engine speeds the sound does not change. I'd kind of describe it as like an F-16 engine startup
                    Bruce
                    01 Camaro

Comment

You say get it diagnosed by a reputable shop. Do you know one in the chicagoland area? The car runs, so I can drive it to anywhere.

-Erik

Comment

A worn out countershaft will whine at idle too.

I don't know any in the Chicagoland Area but ask around. People will know the good honest shops.....
                        Darrin C
                        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Thanks in advance!

-Erik
                          That your Big S/C Or Turbo Spooling up j/k LOL
                          1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

What is a countershaft? What does it do?
                            Bruce
                            01 Camaro

Comment

No idea, otherwise id help.

Comment

Working...
                              X