Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after a whole month, 2 distributors, and possibly the better half of 100 hours of labor, my car is running once again. but there is still one problem ( ) , the temperature guage goes haywire once in a while when driving and it doesn't move past 160 degrees. could it need a new temp sensor? (i already made sure it was plugged in correctly.)
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Try taking the sensor out, hooking up a multi meter to the leads, and heating the sensor up with a heat gun (or hair dryer). The resistance should steadily change. If it stops suddenly, your sensor is bad, as a heat gun or hair dryer won't get as hot as your engine would. If it's not that, you probably need a new guage.
    1997 Formula WS6
    43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
    18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

Comment

^ That's good advice exept the gauge doesn't measure air temperature. That's why gauges go to cold when the engine is overheated and the water is gone. Use hot/boiling water to check it.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Comment

I still haven't tested either temp sensor, but its on the list to do. I discovered that the skip shift comes on even if the temp gage in the dash is at full cold. So this means that the PCM still turns on the skip shift when the temp is appopriate. but i am wondering, if the temp sensor in the water pump is faulty, will the fans stay off? Is it possible for both the temp sensors (head sensor and wtr/pump sensor) to be faulty? I will be testing them both this week, but i just needed some knowledge for a peace of mind. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.,

_RYAN
        -Ryan-

Comment

Shoebox has a prodedure, including the resistance vs. temperature values for the sensors. It really doesn't matter whether you heat it with air or water.... the thermistor sensors all function the same way. Using a mixture of ice and water is a good way to generate a 32* test temperature, and boiling water will give you a 212* reference temperature, but that isn't the only way to do it.

The wire could be damaged, the pins could be damaged, sensor may not be grounded to the head properly (did you use anti-sieze or thread-locker to install it?).

Then you start talking about the coolant temp sensor in the water pump, and suggesting that may be faulty. What connection to the dash gauge are you thinking of? Are your fans not coming on, or on all the time? Yes, the PCM uses the reading from the water pump mounted sensor to control the fans, and anything else that is related to temperature.

Then you start talking about the skip shift light. What connection do you see to the temp sensors. I'm not aware of any.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The skip shift comes on when:

-you apply 35% throttle or less
            -between 15 and 21 mph
            and
            -the temp is at 171* or higher how else would the PCM know the temp so it could turn the skip shift on?

Also, i haven't replaced either temp sensor, they are still the ones from the factory.

Originally posted by ShBox.com
            The gauge gets it's information from a sensor that is in the driver's side head. Inaccurate gauge readings can be from this sensor or it's wiring (the wire burned on a header pipe is common).
            -Ryan-

Comment

ok so i just went to go test my temperature sensor for the dash gage and i could not believe what i found. The harness was plugged in but the wire for the harness looked like it had broke off, and the previous owner just taped it back together. so now i will buy a new harness +wire. I think i have found my problem.
              -Ryan-

Comment

I had the temp sensor go out a while ago. I found out that it was cheaper for me to buy a full autolite temp guage kit than to buy the factory one. I just stuck it in the middle air vent. Just a little FYI in case you might want to do the same thing.
                1997 Formula WS6
                43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
                2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
                18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

Comment

Working...
                X