ABS Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS Problem

When I am coming to a stop in the car, the ABS kicks in at about 5 MPH and the Low Trac Light comes on. After the car is stopped, it goes off, and it has never happened at higher speeds. I'm thinking I have a bad wheel speed sensor, but am not sure. If everyone agrees that it is a bad speed sensor, is there some kind of resistance check I can do on the sensors to figure out which one it is?
    1997 Formula WS6
    43,000 miles, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Ported Heads, Long Tubes, Borg Warner Built T56, Stage 3 Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange Engineering 12 bolt 4.11 Rearend, Nitrous Express wet shot.
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T
    18,000 miles, Stock, and staying that way (Daily Driver).

I had a similar problem when the rear sensor (3-channel, ABS only) came out of adjustment. With a stock 10-bolt rear, yours isn't going to be adjustable, but it may be coated with metal particles. Its the only one you can actually remove and clean. The front sensors are integral with the front hub cartridges, and are not removable. If you have ABS + TCS, you will have two sensors in the rear, on the ends of the axle housing, rather than the single sensor on the top of the differential housing in the ABS cars. You can try blowing the dirt out of the sensors, though. I've heard that rust in the hubs will cause the sensors to move slightly, and that might be enough to change the spacing to the reluctor gear and cause problems.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X