Rocker Arm Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No headers yet...

Thanks for the heads up on the tool from Harbor Freight.
    I always like an excuse to visit the toy store
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

and BTW, I have a set of comp 978 valve springs. I had 986 springs and decided to go with a bigger cam, and the 986's wouldn't work, so I got the 978's. They're good to .600 lift I've been told, but not many people use them. You just need to get a certain set of locator seats.

It's a dual coil spring, I've had it for about 2.5 years at least. I paid $135 for the springs. If you want 'em you can have them for $60 shipped.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They're brand new in the box.

I would really recommend upgrading the springs. I've heard some people giving the 918's a bad rap, but I have them and they've done me well, as they have a ton of others. I would go with them if you wanna spend some money.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
        No headers yet...
        Then you may not want to do the valve springs just yet. If I were you I wouldn't even do the RR's yet.

Put that money into some headers. Then do the RR's and springs.

You don't want to try getting to spark plug holes without headers. Do headers, then valve springs and rockers later. Better yet, do them all at once. Take the stock manifolds off, do the valve springs, then put headers, new plugs and wires, and rockers
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

My Tech Page has a complete guide for changing the valve springs on the car and without using compressed air. It's not really needed if you bring the cylinder to TDC.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

oh yeah, you're right rob. I forgot about that method.

Do it to it sneitzel!

Comment

As Rob said, just always remember to move the crank to get TDC on the particular cylinder you're doing. I was all the way down to my last cylinder, and I forgot to move it to TDC...needless to say, I luckily caught the valve, and had to stretch and kick, to reach for the vice grips...to prevent it from falling in. That would have been very very bad
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                Better yet, do them all at once. Take the stock manifolds off, do the valve springs, then put headers, new plugs and wires, and rockers
                I wish my bank account would let me do that but right now I'm afraid not...

Sounds like it's not too bad a job but I'll have to read through Shoebox's writeup a few times to get some courage. There's also a guy here at work who I can probably get to give me a hand when I do decide to tackle it.

One last question. Is a retune necessary after the rocker/spring switch?
                I was planning on getting a tune once I had done headers and catback but should I plan on doing that after the rockers and then adjusting it for headers?

Thanks everyone for your input.
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

A retune would be a very good idea, as you would be changing the valve lift and duration with the new rocker arm ratio. Plus its another excuse to pick up another mod and...as Tim Allen would say..."MORE POWER!!!" lol
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

If money is tight, skip the tune. It will run fine without it.
                    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X