MSD cap and rotor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD cap and rotor?

Anyone have this installed? How did it seem as far as quality? Anyone hear any horror stories? I just have to change my water pump and figure while I am in there I should at least change the cap and rotor. I am certain that my opti is in good shape but....you never know...
    Btw, I have found that jegs has them for 154.99+shipping... Anywhere else on the cheaper?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Go to the LT1/LT4 Engine Tech forum on CamaroZ28.com. There are several threads reporting problems, including the rotor screw being almost impossible to keep tight, rotors shredding red plastic dust all over the inside, etc. MSD has problems that they appear to be trying to fix, but from what I have seen, they have just as many problems as the stocker.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred, I did just that last night and am now reconsidering...
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      <Motor out

Comment

Just an FYI, I've heard of about as many problems with the Accel cap and rotor too, just in case you were thinking of going down that road as a plan B.
        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I guess it is best to stay with GM an look for a good price.
          Blazer

Comment

Yep, the GM opti is the way I am leaning. I might just not even mess with it. It isn't that hard to pull the w/p again if I have to. Just time and >$5 worth of gaskets(less if I cut my own which I already have the material for )... As far as the accel stuff, I didn't even consider it until I read about the problems with the msd. Then I read about some of the problems with the accel...
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            <Motor out

Comment

As far as the accel stuff, I didn't even consider it until I read about the problems with the msd. Then I read about some of the problems with the accel...
              Same here, that's why I mentioned it I ended up with the original AC/Delco opti, so far so good.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

ebay has brand new GM opti's with lifetime warrany for 150. Just get that. I'm in need of an opti right now myself.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Well, if you're going to replace the Opti, then I might as well throw this out there. If you have the money and time isn't so much a factor, consider the Dynaspark. I put one on my Z back in July along with a new ICM and W/P and no complaints. She pulls harder, runs smoother and now has the venting (a big plus if you have a non-vented setup obviously). Just my 0.02.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                  X