Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best lightweight driveshaft out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best lightweight driveshaft out there?

I'm looking for people's suggestions on a high quality lightweight driveshaft.

I had a new aluminum LS1 driveshaft in my 95 Formula but peeled it apart like a pretzel today. I don't want a steel shaft because I'm looking for something lightweight. Obviously, I need something strong as well.

Any ideas or suggestions? Does anybody have any actual/personal experiences with some quality driveshafts? Company names and prices would be great.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

My ride is here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

What kind of HP are you making? That will determine what you need in the way of a driveshaft. There is very little HP to be gained by skimping in this area. I've had a failure with an ACPT super heavy duty carbon fiber shaft, basically a waste of $750. Switched to a Mark Williams 3" chrome moly unit, less weight, same strength as mild steel.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      What kind of HP are you making? That will determine what you need in the way of a driveshaft. There is very little HP to be gained by skimping in this area. I've had a failure with an ACPT super heavy duty carbon fiber shaft, basically a waste of $750. Switched to a Mark Williams 3" chrome moly unit, less weight, same strength as mild steel.
      I'm guessing that it's putting down 275-300 HP at the wheels. I plan on running a 383 in the distant future so I would like a driveshaft to handle more power than I currently have.

I've thought about chrome moly. What did that shaft set you back?

The driveshaft was my weak link. I have a Moser 12 bolt now. I actually figured that my conversion u-joint would fail if anything did, because it's greaseable/not solid.

Comment

Whoa what did you do? With stock horsepower you broke an LS1 DS?

Are you sure that thing didn't have a flaw or something?
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

My only guess to breaking a DS with stock HP is Doing a 5000rpm clutch dump on Full-on Slicks.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

3,500 RPM's with P275/40R17 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials.

Comment

The Mark Williams was $625, but that included a $225 forged tranny slider/yoke, and HD solid 1350 u-joints. Sitting behind my engine with 5K clutch dumps, through 3.73 12-bolt to 26" ET Streets. Then I swapped in the TH400 and needed another DS, again MW. That one is for sale ($425), but the will not fit a stock A4 or M6 because of the TH400 tailshaft length, and TH400 slider. Currently have an even shorter MW shaft, since the Gear Vendor was added to the TH400.

I just saw a link to a Strange chrome moly DS for under $300, plus the slider. Might be worth looking into.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up getting a Spohn Extreme Duty driveshaft. They recommend it up to 1,000 horsepower so I "should" be OK. I've managed to break things that should be OK many times before though. I suspect that I'll be OK this time around. I have purchased Spohn products before and I'm impressed with their quality.

Here's a link to the shaft I purchased: http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1328

Thanks again.

Here's a pic of the driveshaft:

Comment

There have been reports of the LS1 DS breaking in LT1 cars without much more than DRs and a semi-high RPM clutch-drop before. This isn't that surprising to me. Good choice on the Spohn DS.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessFormula

Here's a link to the shaft I purchased: http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1328

Thanks again.

Here's a pic of the driveshaft:

HOLY $#!T well done!! i salute you.
                    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Look how thin walled the DS is!!!
                      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Buddy of mine with a moderate HP blown LT1 has a picture almost exactly like that one. Another friend snapped a Lingenfelter 3.5" aluminum DS at about the 700HP level. This is not the place to save weight.
                        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                          Buddy of mine with a moderate HP blown LT1 has a picture almost exactly like that one. Another friend snapped a Lingenfelter 3.5" aluminum DS at about the 700HP level. This is not the place to save weight.
                          If I ever thought that I was going to have a problem like this I would have upgraded years ago.

I doubt that I'll have a problem again though.

I was also amazed at how thin the walls were.

Maybe they need to use stonger cardboard?

Comment

Working...
                          X