Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark After Fuel Pump Replacement

Hey guys!

My car was stalling on the highway - took it to the dealership for diagnostics. They ran it until it stalled again then did some tests and found it had no fuel pressure - faulty fuel pump was the diagnosis.

After replacing the fuel pump, they went to start it and the battery was dead so they put it on a charger.

The car will crank but now they are saying that they can't get it started because it has no spark.

Is there something they might have done wrong that would cause the no-spark condition? The whole ignition system is new (Opti, plugs, wires, ignition control module, coil)
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Did they start it on the charger? If so, it could have popped a fuse or two which could be creating the problem. How did they determine it is a no-spark condition? Have they checked to make sure that they are actually getting fuel pressure to the rail? That sounds like a snowball effect if I've ever seen one.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Good point! I will tell them to check the fuse block for bad fuses.

I don't know how they determined the no spark condition - they just told me over the phone.......

I've been the one doing the diagnosis for them over the phone - I should be charging THEM $80 an hour.....!
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

The battery labor should be no charge, because the car came in with the ability to start, and died while it was there. The diagnosis of no spark should be no charge either, as it ran when it got there, and all of a sudden after they worked on it, it won't run. The only labor you should have is the fuel pump replacement and the initial diagnosis, if it was not absorbed into the labor cost of the pump work. If they try to charge you for it, start going up the chain of command, as that is BS. I work for a dealer so I know, if you go high enough, they will back down.

Comment

Thanks....you're awesome!

I'll let you know how it turns out!
          Darrin C

Comment

Check that the ignition fuse under the hood didn't blow.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

This Dealership really takes the cake....

They still don't know why there's no spark.

They checked the fuses under the hood and they all check out okay.

They said there's no signal coming from the computer.....

They said they've got the computer out trying to see if that's the problem.

It's been a week and they're taking thier sweet time on it.
              Darrin C

Comment

If I were you, I'd tell them that you want a rental car until they figure out what's wrong with yours. I guarantee you if they put you in a rental, they will get their ass in gear because that is money coming right off the top, and they will hurry up then.

Comment

man, get the car back from them. I'll bet it does have spark, they're probably just saying it doesn't have spark to hold you off.

To diagnose your problem doesn't take that much time.

They probably didn't connect something correctly in the fuel pump, or they may have left the hose loose to where you're losing all your fuel pressure.

I'd get it back and tell them you're not giving them a penny more than what it cost to replace the fuel pump.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

That's what you DON'T need to do. The car came in with an intermittent shut down, they duplicated it, replaced a part, and now it won't start at all. Whether it's misdiagnosis or faulty installation, it's up to the dealer to get it running again because it drove in there. Get a rental and they will figure out what's wrong. If you can't get any satisfaction from the service writer or service manager, go to the general manager. Then the owner. Then file a complaint with the BBB. I'm telling you, when you are in a rental, they figure out what the hell is going on real quick, because even at the best deal in the world, the dealer is swallowing $30 a day that is not reimbursed by the manufacturer. A few days of that, and you'd be surprised how all of a sudden you start getting phone calls. No dealer is going to let you drive around on their money at $210 a week for very long.

Comment

I'm driving over there this morning to see what the hell is going on....

Knowing them, it's got to be something stupid like a fuse or fuseable link....

I'll keep you posted......
                      Darrin C

Comment

Update - now they are saying that the computer (PCM) is bad and needs to be replaced.

I'll bet they blew it when they jump started it......
                        Darrin C

Comment

So you got the rental, they are overnighting the parts, and you'll have your car sometime Tuesday with only the labor and parts for the fuel pump replacement, right?

That's what they ought to be doing.

Comment

Yeah they blew your pcm. Kinda suprising, you would think a fuse would blow first.

What are they charging you for?

Comment

Diagnostics
                              Fuel Pump & Labor to install
                              PCM (part only)
                              Oil Change
                              Inspection Sticker [it was due anyway]
                              $1400 smackers.

I'm about to take a 6-month road trip to the Rio Grande Valley (along the mexican border) on business so I don't want to break down on the road in the middle of the night. The only people on the road that late are druggies and human smugglers.
                              Darrin C

Comment

Working...
                              X