Help with Drivers side headlight motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Drivers side headlight motor

Hey guys, my drivers side headlight motor just stopped working. No warning at all, no noise or anything like they usually do before they break.. The light just decided to not flip open anymore--Just wanna make sure it's the headlight motor and not something else--The passenger side opens fine. Thanks for any help - 99 trans am
    '99 Pewter T/A A4, Suncoast Creations functional Ram Air hood, ASP Underdrive pulleys, 160 degree therm, HPP3, SLP Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, GM 3.73's, T/A rearend cover, Eibach Sportline Springs. 13.01 @ 107.97

Fuse? Underhood I believe...

Can you see if the light itself is working? If not, check the harness...mine collects water sometimes and corroides the connectors.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

yes---the lights are working
      '99 Pewter T/A A4, Suncoast Creations functional Ram Air hood, ASP Underdrive pulleys, 160 degree therm, HPP3, SLP Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, GM 3.73's, T/A rearend cover, Eibach Sportline Springs. 13.01 @ 107.97

Comment

The lift mechanism is a pivoting metal bar that stops up and down by plastic knobs. (At least that is how my 95 is setup.) It is possible for the pivoting bar to get caught up if something gets loose. It is also possible for the metal casing of the headlight motor itself to loosen from the motor, which can mis-align things. You might check for that before ordering a new motor or gear. If you are not hearing the motor running, then it might not be a stripped gear.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I have an update....The headlight now pops up, but the headlight motor is making a horrible sound now when I turn the lights off

Comment

uh oh!!! bad headlight motor.

History (to my knowledge): The headlight motor has no sensors of anything to tell it when to stop going up, or stop going down. the only thing that stops it is the mchanical range of motion. in other words, when it reaches the top, it causes electrical current draw, which then shuts the motor off. so for a split second after it has reached the top, it still tries to move up.

GM made a good move (business-wi$e) by making the gear in the h/l motor nylon(plastic). so every time you use your h/l the plastic gear wears down a little bit. That way they could make more money by people sending in their old headlight motors, which were then refurbished with a new nylon gear and re-sold!!! Then the customer would buy a new headlight motor for only $150!!!

i have made myself very familiar with the headlights.

your options:

1.) Replace headlight motor, ~$150 +
            1a.) install it yourself, ~Free plus a 6-pack of cold beer(optional)
            1b.) have it installed, ~$50-75
            2.) buy a rebuild kit (metal gear that goes in headlight motor)~$85

source
            http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Thanks for all the info everybody--I actually just purchased a new motor on ebay for $ 81.00--and I'm gonna use that Bfranker video to help me install the new motor--Thanks so much

Comment

The "horrible" grinding noise is not a bad motor...just a bad gear.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

When reassembling after a teardown to get to the gear, note how the lifting arm is assembled...you'll need to assemble it the same way or you'll risk burning out your motor.

___

Looks like I failed to read your post...LOL! Again, just note the lifting arm position.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

You can buy the brass gears for like $33.00 on E-bay. An other places that have them.

Save your old motor its good.

Blazer

Comment

Or just take apart the motor and turn the gear 180 degree's and reseal it. or buy brass gear new motor will do it again. after awhile
                    1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

my headlights would grind when they turned down, after i spun the gear, they grinded whe i put them up. a waste of time for me.
                      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Same here, when I turned them around they just grinded when going up, and worse yet, they wouldn't go up all the way. So, the headlights were pointed down too low.
                        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                          Same here, when I turned them around they just grinded when going up, and worse yet, they wouldn't go up all the way. So, the headlights were pointed down too low.
                          You didn't turn them correctly...possibly. I've done it for both sides and they work fine...just for it to crap out now. LOL!

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Darn! Now I wish I would of purchased the brass gear ..Oh well--Too late.. UPDATE again--lol---Now, when I lock my car doors with my key remote, the headlights pop up all by themselves for like 5 seconds and then go back down, and once they close, I get the grinding noise for another 5 seconds--It's so weird! What the heck is causing that to happen?

Comment

That's normal, or happens when your gear is stripped.

I can't remember why it does that...but it's "normal".

Fred, Injuneer, knows why I believe...he explained it once.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X