rebuild or will i be safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild or will i be safe?

Hey i am about to be purchasing some things for my car, like a cam, roller rockers, get the heads work, just whatever i can do basically without pulling the motor. since my engine has 144,000 on it since i wana run a small shot of nitrous also would it just be smart to go ahead and pull the motor and rebuild it just to insure im gona be safe with the bottom end, or would it be fine for several thousands? the motor runs strong as it is and has good maintence.
    '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

I would suggest a compression test first just to make sure all eight cylinders are wearing evenly, if they aren't then a leakdown test would let you know if it is the rings. But if everything checked out with the compression test and all other maintence has been done then you should be fine as long as you remember when you start playing with nitrous that you don't have an industructable bottom end and you play it safe, there are a couple people on here who know a lot about nitrous and can help you figure out exactly where you would be safe to start.
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

In my opinion, you will need the rebuild. You might get lucky without one, but considering you're going to be putting $$ into the heads/cam/nitrous, you have way too many miles to take a chance. With a new cam and better flowing heads, you'll need to increase the rev limiter and shift points, to get the most out of your motor. I hit 6300 RPM in my stock bottom end with 120k, and poof, there went a bearing.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Ok yeah, thanks for you guy's input. I dont want to pull it and rebuild, but my safe bet would probably go that route. hmm its hard...ill do those test and let you guys know how things show up, and what im going to do. thanks alot.

lol the only thing im worried about is if i take it out im going to be doing alot more to it. welp theres a guy with a ligenfelter vette pushin 560 hp... i would feel like i have acheived something in life if i could beat that.
        '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Working...
        X