Broke a lug nut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke a lug nut

'98 Camaro -- I was rotating my tires and I broke a rear lug nut off. The whole bolt needs to be replaced. How can I replace this without taking it to a shop. Thanks in advance.

You have to remove the Wheel, Caliper and disc. I think you can get a wheel stud at any auto parts store. Get a hammer and hammer out the broken stud. Its going to have to be hammered towards the center of the axle. Then put in the new stud from the inside part of the axle shaft hub then used the nug nut to jam it in place. Pretty easy stuff.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Do you not have to re-thread the bolt hole after hammering it out?

Also, where can I find a nug nut? Or was that a typo...Could I just use a hammer?

Comment

Ha ha ha Yeah that was a typo. The Lug nut normally comes with the Stud. You cans hammer the new one in b/c there is not enought space behind the hub.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

if u can get 2 lug nuts, that way if u destroy one pullin the stud in, it wont matter, but yea, hammer the old one out, put the new stud in, throw a couple washers on behind the nut, and get a 1/2" drive rachet and socket and keep turning till its set against the flange. its gonna be a pit of a PITA unless u have air tools but it can be done all by hand
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Is this a disc brake car (V8) or a shoe brake car (most V6's)? If you have traction control, the reluctor gear behind the hub may interfere with stud removal.

The wheel stud should probably come from the dealer, so it matches the others. Its a 12mm-1.5 thread, and about 2" long, with a 0.509" knurl diameter. When you hammer the old one out, you are left with a bare, unthreaded hole in the hub. The knurl is pulled into the hole for an interference fit. There are no threads to cut. I can give you the exact bolt dimensions if you need it.

Push the stud through the hub from the back, put a large washer over it, then an old lug nut, turned backward so the "flat" surface is against the washer, not the conical surface. A little bit of anti-sieze on the washer and the lug will help. Best way to pull the stud into the axle is with an air operated impact gun.

It's been a while since I pulled the rear rotor off, but I think you can just remove one of the caliper slider bolts and flip the caliper up off the rotor, without completely removing the caliper.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              It's been a while since I pulled the rear rotor off, but I think you can just remove one of the caliper slider bolts and flip the caliper up off the rotor, without completely removing the caliper.
              You can just remove the Caliper Bracket bolts b/c if you simply side up the caliper the Bracket is still holding the rotor in place.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

My car is a shoe brake car (most V6's) -- I've gotten the wheel and caliper off now what?! I can't see the back side of the stud and the disc won't just come off...What should I do now?

Comment

Originally posted by hub98camaro
                  My car is a shoe brake car (most V6's) -- I've gotten the wheel and caliper off now what?! I can't see the back side of the stud and the disc won't just come off...What should I do now?
                  If you have a "shoe brake" car (drums in the rear???), why do you have a caliper and a disc?
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                  X